Friday, July 7, 2006

Valerie

I have just started my third lesson of the day when there is a soft knock on the door. While reading, I walk to the door to open it. As soon as I open the door I'm faced with an annoyed looking Melissa. I look at her questioningly. She shows me a note. "Patrick, would you like to read the next paragraph?". When I hear that Patrick has taken over from me, I take Melissa's note. I immediately recognize my mother's handwriting.

I'm supposed to give Melissa a punishment, but actually she needs to cool down. I have an appointment now. You can probably take over for me. Your mother's thanks are great. I think Melissa's too ;)

I shake my head with a smile. I walk back into my room. I grab a free chair and place it at my desk. Then I gesture to Melissa that she can take a seat there, and she does. I continue my lesson.

When I have discussed everything that was necessary, I walk towards my desk. I put my hand on Melissa's shoulder, who still doesn't seem very calm. " My lovely assistant will be handing out the worksheets. I want you to do the first five problems in peace. Only soft consultation with your neighbor is allowed". I hand Melissa a stack of papers. To which she stands up with a sigh and starts handing them out.

I sit down at my desk and grab stack tests to check for errors. " Are you deaf? I said no". How shocked I look up when I hear Melissa scream. I want to respond, but I can already see Melissa walking further. Jasmine, with whom she was just standing, sinks completely back in her chair. I only suspected that Melissa was lashing out at her. I look questioningly at Jasmine. Her head is getting redder and quickly turns her head away when she realizes I'm looking at her.

" What was that?". I ask Melissa softly, when she comes back to sit with me at the desk. She looks at me irritated. "I don't think anyone today knows what the word no means." I give her a small smile. "Is that why you're here now?" She shrugs. "I may have been quite out of touch during class. Can't they just leave me alone?" I put my hand on hers on the table when I notice she's still getting worked up. "Do you have work that you can do now?". She gives me a small nod. I think it's better not to talk about it for now. Since I do realize that most of my class pays more attention to what is happening here than to the assignments they have to do.

Melissa picks up her books and goes to work with them in peace. " What is? Do I have something on my face?" I ask softly when I notice that Melissa has been looking at me for a while. She nods with a smile on her face. " What then?". She lifts her hand and puts her finger between my eyebrows. "You have a wrinkle". I shake my head with a smile. "If you read some of these answers, you would too." Melissa continues to look at me for a moment. Then she mumbles something I can't understand and looks away from me.

Not much later I look up annoyed when I see a hand on Melissa's shoulder. I can see from Melissa that she doesn't like it either. I put my hand on her knee and give her a quick look before she can respond to Jasmine. Then I look at Jasmine. "What can I help you with, Jasmine?". I hope it came out a bit neutral and that my irritation is not audible. "I wondered what we should do once we have completed the assignments". I really need to keep calm. Every student in my class knows that when they are done they have to do the extra assignments in the back of the book. Jasmine is now just standing here for Melissa. In the meantime she has a lock of Melissa's hair between her fingers and is playing with it. I feel Melissa's hand on mine, which is still on her knee. I give Melissa a quick look. She gives me a reassuring smile. Although I can see from her that she is absolutely not served by it. I'm guessing I wasn't looking too kindly at Jasmine. "As always, you can continue with the extra assignments". Jasmine gives me a nod and then smiles at Melissa, who doesn't give her a glance. " I'll see you soon". She says cheerfully as she walks away, to which Melissa sighs. "Oh Jasmine". Jasmine turns around and looks at me questioningly. "Next time, just raise your hand." She gives me a small nod. "And I think Melissa has been very clear with you just now." Jasmine's head turns red and she doesn't know how quickly to sit in her place. I just hope it's really clear to her now. " Thank you". I give Melissa a small smile when she whispers that to me.

When the bell rings, Melissa remains seated. "Don't you have to go to the next class?". She looks at me a bit unsure. "I have no class this hour. Do you mind if I stay here?" I shake my head. "It is always useful to have a helper." I say with a wink. Luckily I see a smile on Melissa's face. "And I also think it's fun. As long as you don't distract my students." Melissa starts laughing. "You really should have seen your face when, no idea what her name was, standing next to me". I feel my head getting hot. I didn't realize that I showed my emotion like this. "But thanks again for your help". she says sweetly. "It was the least I could do. I could tell you were uncomfortable with it." She gives me a small nod. "We still have about five minutes before my next class comes in. That gives you plenty of time to tell me why my mother thinks you deserve a punishment". At least I suspected that my mother didn't tell Melissa to come here to cool off, but to come and help me as punishment. "Miss Martins had sent me out of class and told me to report to your mother". I look at Melissa in surprise. "What the hell have you done then? I don't think Anne has ever sent anyone out of her class." She sighs. "I flew into someone". I don't know what I hear.

I put my hands over Melissa's, when I see that she sees tears in her eyes. "What happened?". She closes her eyes for a moment and it looks like she's trying to keep herself calm. "Caroline didn't stop. I've turned her down several times. Today she tried again and when I rejected her again she started saying things about my sister. Something snapped inside me. I don't really know what happened. Only that I was grabbed by Miss Martins and sent out of class". As soon as Melissa says that I see some tears escape from her. I stand up and wrap my arms around her. "Did you tell my mother that?" She shrugs. "Only that Caroline kept annoying me". I give her a kiss on the forehead and then sit back in my chair. "I will explain it to my mother and Anne". I can see the fear in Melissa's eyes. "I won't say anything about your situation. Only that things have been said to you that are rather sensitive to you. I'm sure they'll understand then. But promise me one thing". She looks at me questioningly. "Next time try to hold back and come straight to me. I'd rather you just walk out of class and come in to see me than attack someone. Okay?". She gives me a small nod. " I will try". When she says that, the bell rings. Melissa quickly wipes away her tears and I get up to let the next class in.