Friday, January 13, 2006

Melissa

Fortunately, the first week after the Christmas holiday is almost over. Emma and I only have an hour of economy to go and then it's finally the weekend. It's not that I hate school, but I still prefer weekends. "Valerie should have warned that she is hot". I look questioningly at Emma, who is sitting next to me in the back of the class. She points to the front of the class with a nod. I look up and see that Miss Martins has just entered the room. "Didn't you have your eyes on rick?". Emma shrugs. "That doesn't mean I can't watch." I shake my head with a smile. " Or are you saying I'm wrong?". Now I'm the one who shrugs. "She's not ugly, but to say she's hot." Emma shakes her head. "You are really no good. At least I know what I'm going to do for the rest of the lesson". she says without taking her eyes off Miss Martins. "Do you have enough tissues with you to wipe your mouth?". I don't think I've ever seen Emma pay such close attention in class. I just doubt she got any of what was told.

Emma and I are just about to leave the school when we are called. We turn around and see Valerie walking towards us. "Are you done for today?". Emma and I nod. "Are you lucky. I still have two hours to go. But what I called you for was to ask if you would like to come over tonight?" Emma looks at me questioningly. I give her a small nod. " Yes that's OK. Just tell us what time you want us." A smile appears on Valerie's face. " Rose and I have dinner around half past six. If you'd like, you can join in. Otherwise, let it be convenient for you". Emma shakes her head. "I can't go before eight o'clock. I have to report Mrs. Morrison before noon if I don't eat with them. But I'm sure Melissa can." I look a little annoyed at Emma. "You are most welcome. I think Rose would like it very much too. She's been talking about Lissa all week." I get a little smile on my face when Valerie says that. I give her a small nod. "Of course I can't refuse your princess". Valerie's smile widens. "I'll be home around four o'clock. From then on you are welcome. I really have to go back to class now". I nod. "Okay, see you later". I say while Valerie is already walking towards her classroom. I then turn to Emma. "Did you really have to say that?" I ask sighing. " Why not?". I shake my head. "You know how I am with people". She gives me a smile. "Yes, you normally do something else with them than talk, but Valerie isn't that bad, is she? At least I had the impression that you feel comfortable with her". I give her a small nod. "Well don't whine like that. At least that way I also have a little peace from you". she says laughing. I give her a shrug on the shoulder. "Say that right away. You're just looking for a reason to get rid of me." Emma gives me a hug. "I never want to get rid of you. I am much too happy with you". I gently push her away from me. "Okay, that's enough. Shall we go to the library?"

Emma and I have been in the library all afternoon doing our homework. That is generally our standard time after school. Emma has just entered her house. I look at my watch and see that it's half past four. I hesitate for a moment what to do and finally walk to a few houses away. Soon after I ring the doorbell, the door opens. Valerie looks at me with a beautiful smile. "You are right on time. Come on in". Valerie steps aside so I can go inside. I hang up my coat and put my bag and shoes under the coat rack. "There is already one impatiently waiting for you in the kitchen". I look at Valerie with a smile. "Then I shouldn't keep her waiting any longer." I follow Valerie into the kitchen. "Lissa, Lissa I missed you". I walk over to Rose and lift her out of her chair to give her a hug. "I missed you too princess. What are you doing?". She points to the table. " Coloring. Lisa too?" I give her a small nod and put her back in her chair. Then I sit next to her to coloring together. " Would you like to drink something?". I look up at Valerie, who is watching us with a smile on her face. " A glass of milk?". She gives a small nod and turns around.

Not much later a glass of milk is placed near me. " Thank you". Valerie takes a seat across from me. "How was your first week?". I ask when I look at her. She puts her arm on the table and rests her chin on her palm. She has a beautiful smile on her face. " Good. It took some getting used to, of course, but I only now noticed how much I missed it. Did you get through the week well?". I nod. "I actually managed to keep my eyes open every lesson". Valerie shakes her head with a smile. " I'm proud of you". Then she stands up. "I'm going to start cooking." I give her a nod. " Do you need help?". She shakes her head. "You can help if you want, but you don't have to." When I get up a smile appears on her face. "Tell me what I can do". She goes to the refrigerator and takes out several vegetables. "You can cut these into pieces if you like". I nod. I walk to the sink to wash my hands. In the meantime, Valerie is getting the stuff ready for me. "Do you cook more often?". I nod. " Almost every day". I see her looking surprised. " I like doing it". She gives me a small smile. "I don't think it's a punishment to be in the kitchen either". We spent some time cooking together . When I have finished my task, I sit down with Rose again, to continue coloring with her. In the meantime, Valerie and I are talking. Especially about school. There is a relaxed atmosphere.

"Don't you find it annoying that your husband is away every weekend?". I ask as soon as we sit down to eat. Valerie looks a little puzzled before shaking her head. "I'm used to Sander being away for the weekends. I actually like it. I then only have to deal with Rose and myself. Since we have Rose, I find it a bit more difficult. I wish Sander would spend a little more time with her, but it is no different". I nod understandingly. "If you ever want to go out for a night, I'll be happy to babysit." She shakes her head with a smile. " Offered very sweetly. First of all, I'm not into going out anymore. And secondly, I can always turn to my mother or sister. But thanks for the offer." I look at her with wide eyes. " Oh I feel sorry for Rose. It's only now that I realize that Miss Smith is of course her grandmother". I say laughing. Valerie can also laugh about it. She gives me a little nudge on my shoulder. "My mother isn't that bad, is she?". I shake my head. " It was just a joke. Your mother is relaxed. You really have to try really hard to have her against you".

After dinner it wasn't long before Emma joined us. It's really a very pleasant evening. I couldn't avoid waking up the next morning on the sofa in Valerie's living room.