Monday, September 10, 2007

Melissa

It's Monday and Valerie, Emma and I are having lunch in Valerie's classroom. I'm just not that fun. I'm sitting at Valerie's desk. I'm watching movies on her computer. "What's the matter with you?". Valerie leans against her desk and has removed an earbud from my ear. " I am nervous". She looks at me questioningly. "For what?". I give her a small smile. "For tonight, when Rose is back home". She looks at me sweetly. "You don't have to be nervous about that. It's not that she doesn't know you." I sigh. "I know, but it's different now. I'm not visiting this time. Aren't you afraid she's going to react weird or something?". She shakes her head and bends over to kiss my forehead. "I think she absolutely loves it. She's totally into you. Of course it will take her some getting used to because of all the changes, but I am confident that it will all work out." Valerie quickly steps away from the desk when we hear a knock on the door. Not much later the door opens.

"I knew I could find you here." It is Miss Martins who enters the room. "Am I interrupting or can I get on?". she asks as she looks around the room. Her gaze lingers on Emma. Who looked up from her mobile as soon as she heard Miss. Martins' voice. "Come join us. It is also good that I see you now". Miss. Martins looks quizzically at Valerie, who sits down on a table. Miss. Martins sits down opposite her. I'm watching Emma. She can't take her eyes off Miss. Martins. "Do you need me for something?". Valerie shakes her head at Miss. Martins. "I just wanted to tell you something". Valerie looks over at me with a small smile. "An, you shouldn't be surprised if you see her when you're at my house". She says pointing at me. "Umm okay". I can see Miss. Martins' is confused. "Melissa needed shelter due to circumstances and I gave it to her". I see Miss. Martins nod in understanding. "You are much too good for this world Val". She says with a smile and walks over to me. "I just think we're going to run into each other a lot outside of school, so I'll introduce myself a little better". She holds out her hand to me and I take it. " I am Anne a friend of that women there. If she's ever a pain in the ass, just report it. And don't believe everything she says about me." she says with a smile. " I will remember it". Then she looks at me seriously. "I also assume that you know that school and private life remain separate. So what happens at school stays here and what is said or done at home stays there." I nod and look at Valerie with a smile. " Of course. You don't have to be afraid that private things will end up at school. I know the trouble Val could get into if they just knew I lived with her. I will never do that to her." Anne looks at me with a smile. "Okay, that's settled then."

I take a quick look at Emma, who still has her eyes on Anne. I can not resist. "I think you will also run into Emma when you are with Valerie". Anne looks at Emma. I can see a little smile on both of their faces. It takes a while before Anne looks at me again and gives a small nod. "I'll leave you three alone again." She says and quickly walks to the door. "An, what did you need me for?". I can hear the laughter in Valerie's voice. Anne looks a bit confused at Valerie. "Um.... Oh yeah, this weekend is possible, if it suits you too". Valerie looks at me. "Sorry to ask you, but would you like to babysit Rose on Friday night? If you don't want it, I understand that too." I give her a smile. "Of course, no problem. I like to do it". Valerie then nods to Anne. "As you can hear, I can too". After Valerie has said that, Anne leaves the room.

"What's Friday?". Valerie gives me a smile. "I gotta go. I have to get something out of my locker." Emma doesn't know how fast she has to get up to leave the room. I smile at Valerie. " You were right". She walks over to me and sits down on her desk. " You think so?". I nod. "About Emma anyway. I don't know Anne, but she behaved strangely. That could be fun." Valerie smiles. "You are not going to interfere. Maybe something completely different is going on." I nod. "Okay Miss van Buren". She gives me a little nudge on my shoulder. "Why do you still wear that name anyway?". She looks at me questioningly and then she seems to understand what I mean. "I never took his surname." I nod understandingly. "By the way, you just asked me about Friday. I'll have a night out with Anne or do you mind?". I nod. "That's our evening". I say with a smile. " You're right. I will resist". I grab Valerie's hands. "Val, I was just joking. Every night is our night now, so I think I can manage Friday night without you. I will miss you though." She kisses me on my forehead. "I'll spend the rest of the week cuddling with you extra to make up for it. But you don't mind looking after Rose then". I sigh. "Val, how many times do I have to tell you that I don't mind staying with Rose". I think she really thinks I find it a burden to spend time with Rose, but I think it's great. "Sorry, but I just don't want you to feel obligated to do it." I shake my head. "It's an honor, Val. I'm going out with Emma this weekend, by the way. I assume you don't have a problem with that either?" She kisses me on my forehead. "As long as you don't do crazy things, then I have no problem with that". I give her a smile. " I would not dare". Unfortunately, the bell rings and it's time to go back to class. We give each other a quick hug and I then go to the right room.