Saturday, December 9, 2006

Melissa

I feel really great. Life seems to be smiling at me more and more. From the start of the school year, which is now three months ago, I work three evenings a week. When I'm done with school I can start right away and then work until about six o'clock. I still like it too. It is sometimes very hard to do next to all the school work I have. I am really well helped by Emma and Valerie. It has taken some effort for me to accept that Valerie brings me lunch every day. Sometimes she also buys me some clothes and other useful things. Two weeks ago she really went all out for my birthday. She bought me a whole new wardrobe. I don't want to know how much money all this cost her. I found it quite hard to take it all, but I just had to take it from her and not argue with it. That's what I eventually did.

I'm sitting on the couch and Rose is sitting on my lap. We sit under a blanket and watch TV. This really is the best start to a day. " Rose van Buren, how often...". I look up at Valerie, who walks into the living room. She sounded annoyed, but I see a beautiful smile on her face. " Now I understand why she didn't come after calling ten times. What are you watching?" Seems a lot quieter now. "Sorry we didn't hear you. Are you coming to watch Tom & Jerry?". The smile on Valerie's face widens. "I'm not saying no to that." She's walking towards us. As soon as she reaches the sofa, she lifts the blanket a little. Then she snuggles close to me. Valerie puts an arm over Rose and me and rests her head on my shoulder. I put the blanket over all three of us. "Actually I am still very busy today, but I would prefer to sit like this all day". she says softly. I can't fault Valerie about the latter.

We've been watching TV for fifteen minutes without saying anything. Only laugh at the videos every now and then. "Mommy, can Lissa come with you today?". I look questioningly at Rose and then at Valerie. " What are you going to do?". Valerie looks at me with a smile. "We are looking for the most beautiful Christmas tree. You are more than welcome to come with us". I look at her a little hard. "Wouldn't you rather do that alone with your daughter?". Valerie shakes her head with a sweet smile on her face. "I would love it if you came along. Or do you already have plans with Emma?". I shake my head. "They have their annual cleaning at home". Valerie starts laughing. "Oh dear is it that time again? I do remember that Sofia hated that day the most. Really every corner in the house has to be done". I laugh with her. " Yep. Emma is also looking forward to it so much. But to get back to our topic. If you really don't mind having me there, then I want to come with you." Valerie kisses my forehead. "I wouldn't have taken no for an answer either. I'm going to call my mom and tell her I'm not coming today. Then I'm going to change Rose and you have to get ready too. Otherwise, all the beautiful trees will soon be gone." she says as she stands up. "You really don't have to change your plans for me". Valerie looks at me with a smile. "Otherwise it would be too rushed anyway. Today I also prefer to spend the day like this, rather than how it was originally planned".

Valerie is really picky about a Christmas tree. We've been to I don't know how many different shops. At the one where we are now, we've been walking around for at least half an hour. I'm looking at a Christmas tree with Rose by my hand. Not much later I feel arms being wrapped around my waist from behind. "Do you like this one?". Valerie asks as she rests her chin on my shoulder. I nod. "Sweetheart, do you also think it is a beautiful tree?". Rose jumps up and down enthusiastically when Valerie asks. "I believe that's a yes. This one will be". I look at Valerie. "Do you like it yourself?". She kisses me on my temple. "I think he's absolutely perfect. I'll find someone to see if they can deliver it today. Then we go somewhere to drink a hot chocolate and have a bite to eat". Before I can even respond, Valerie is gone. Rose gently pulls my hand. "What is it princess?". She raises her hands to the air. "Should I lift you?" She nods. "I think you're a bit tired". Rose nods again when I lift her up. "You're not the only one, princess. luckily your mommy finally found the right tree and we're going to drink hot chocolate soon." I can just see a small smile come on Rose' face before she crawls all the way up against me.

"They will deliver it in an hour and a half". Not much later, Valerie rejoins us. "Should I take her from you?". I shake my head. "Your princess is not heavy and I think she is almost asleep". Valerie looks lovingly at her daughter. She gives Rose a kiss on the head. Then she looks at me with a nice smile and gives me a kiss on my forehead. "Let's go. We've earned that hot chocolate."