Saturday, September 8, 2007

Melissa

It's a really nice evening. I was afraid it was going to be very uncomfortable, but it's not at all. It also gives me a very good feeling that Valerie has no problem at all with her mother and sister seeing us like this and knowing what's going on. Fortunately, they really don't seem to have a problem with that. "How much do you like my daughter?". I feel my cheeks turning red. I went outside with Claire when she wanted to go for a smoke. I had a feeling Valerie wanted to talk to her sister for a minute. This way she has that chance for a while. Which I now regret. "Um...". Claire starts laughing. "It was just a joke. You don't have to say it because I can see it". I feel my cheeks heat up even more. "You have no problem with it Miss Smith?" She shakes her head. "How many times have I told you tonight that it is Claire". I give her a small smile. "Sorry. I still have to get used to everything." She nods in understanding. "How long have you been away from home?" I look at her a little hard. "Shall we go back inside?" I say as I turn around to go back inside. "Melissa wait a minute". I turn to Claire. "I understand that it is difficult for you, but I would like to know. I didn't know until a few weeks ago. If I had known sooner I would have tried to help you right away. I won't judge you for it, but it looks like you're going to play a part in my daughter's and granddaughter's future. I just like to know what comes in the family". I nod understandingly. She sounds like a concerned mom and I'm just glad that Valerie has a mom like her.

Without saying anything I went inside. Sighing, I sit down next to Valerie again. " What is?". she asks concerned. I give her a fake smile. "Mom, what have you done?". She asks her mother angrily, when Claire comes back to the table. "Val, she didn't do anything wrong." I say with a sigh. "Sorry I didn't mean to upset you." I shake my head at Claire. " I know that. You are just a concerned mother, which I have not had for over two years". I say sobbing. Valerie immediately wraps her arms around me and pulls me towards her. I let my tears flow freely. "If I just throw it all on the table, then we've had that anyway". I say after a few minutes, as I pull away from Valerie and wipe away my tears. "Lis you don't have to do that". I give Valerie a small nod. "Your mother wants to know who is coming into her daughter's and granddaughter's lives. It just shows how much she cares about you. I don't want secrets. It also makes me feel good that she asks me. She could also have told me that she doesn't want me to come near you, but instead your mother would like to know who is coming into your life". I see a smile appear on Valerie's face. "Should I be concerned?". We're looking at Chloe. " Melissa has gone through a period that I would like to know more about. Melissa if you don't want to throw it on the table right now, that's really no problem. I can fully get there. We can also sit down just the two of us, if you're ready. By the way, I'm glad you understand why I asked." I give Claire a small smile. "I want to say it now, then we're done." Valerie stands up and takes my hand. "Let's just sit in the living room for this". I get up and take my hand.

Chloe and Claire sat down on one couch and Valerie and I on the other. Valerie has drawn me all the way to her. She crossed my legs over hers and put an arm around me. "Are you really sure?". I give her a small nod and rest my head on her chest. I sit so that I can look at Claire and Chloe. I get a smile on my face when Valerie kisses me on the head and gently strokes my hair. Claire and Chloe are watching us with smiles on their faces. "Okay here we go then". I start to tell my story, why I lived on the street for more than two years. "How is it that I never knew before?". I shrug when Claire asks. "Because I never said it. I didn't want anyone to know, so I never made any changes to the data at school. Even Emma only found out after a few months". Valerie hugs me tightly. "I wish I could help you sooner". I give her a small smile. "As soon as you knew about it, you did what you could and what I allowed". Valerie kisses my forehead. "I also wish I had known sooner so I could help you, but I'm glad you're here now. Thank you for being so honest." I give Claire a small smile. "I do respect you. At his young age and taking care of yourself like that. From what I hear and see you did a very good job. Tell me more about your violin." I look at Chloe in surprise. "Her husband is quite handy with instruments". Valerie whispers in my ear. "I can get the violin." Chloe gives me a nod. I get up to go upstairs.