Friday, September 7, 2007

Valerie

I've had a great night's sleep, since a long time, while sleeping on the couch. I wake up with Melissa in my arms and that immediately puts a big smile on my face. I enjoy this moment for a few minutes and then turn away from the couch as carefully as possible. So I don't wake her up. I quickly jump into the shower. After getting dressed I move to the kitchen. " Good morning". After five minutes, Melissa also entered the kitchen. " Good morning. Slept good? ". She nods. " You? ". " I slept wonderfully. Milk? ". She gives me a nod again. I go to the fridge and pour her a glass of milk. Which I then put on the dining table with her. " Here you go. Breakfast is almost ready. Then you can take a shower if you want. I've left clean clothes for you in the bathroom. We have to leave in half an hour." She gives me a small nod again. I walk back to the counter to finish preparing breakfast.

When I have breakfast ready I put it on two plates and take it to the dining table. I place one in front of Melissa and then sit across from her. " Thank you ". she says very softly. " Your welcome. If you want something, you can just grab it. I'll show you where everything is tonight." She just gives me a small nod again. " And then after school we also have to look for a bed and other things for your bedroom ". Now she looks at me. "I do have those things in storage". I give her a smile. "Okay then we will go there this afternoon". She shakes her head. " I have to work ". "You don't have to do that anymore". She sighs. "I want it. I don't want to depend on you". I nod understandingly. "Okay, we'll talk about that later then." She nods and then falls silent.

" Lis what is it? ". She looks at me for a moment. I see tears in her eyes. "I'm going to take a quick shower, then we can go.". She gets up and quickly walks away. I also get up and do this morning's dishes. By the time I've finished that and gathered my things, Melissa rejoined me. " Ready to go? ". She gives me a small nod. I walk over to her and give her a hug. " Take your time. I'm here for you if you want to talk". I whisper to her. She grips me a little tighter. " Thank you ". Comes out a little soft and broken to her. " Let's go ". I let go of her after a few minutes and then it really is time to go.

I'm fifteen minutes into my lunch break when Emma enters my classroom. " How are you? ". she asks as she takes a seat at the table across from me. "I don't know very well. Melissa has slept so many times on my couch, but this morning was different from those times. She hardly said anything to me today". Emma gives me a small smile. "No me neither. She is completely turned in on herself. Give her some time". I nod. "I know, but it's hard to see her like this. I want to go to her storage tonight to pick up her things. Are you coming? ". She nods. "If Mel wants to, that is. She's never taken me there. She always has an excuse". I look at her questioningly. " How do you mean? ". She shrugs. "I have the impression that she would rather not have me see it or something". I nod understandingly. " Okay. We'll see how it goes tonight. Where is Melissa right now? ". Emma stands up. "She wanted to go for a walk. I'll see if she's back yet, because class is about to start. What time shall I join you tonight? ". I think for a moment. "Do around eight if that suits you. Melissa is at work until about six o'clock. Then we'll have some time to eat something." Emma puts her thumb in the air. " Fine. See you tonight ".

I didn't see Melissa walk into school for the rest of the day. I'm sitting in my classroom waiting for her to come clean here. "You should have gone. You don't have to wait for me". Ten minutes later she's in my classroom. " Lis that is at least a forty-five minutes walk or you have to spend unnecessary money on the bus. I don't mind waiting for you". She shrugs and goes to work. "Were you at school this afternoon? ". She looks at me a bit shocked when I ask after five minutes. " So no ". I say when it stays quiet. " Where were you? ". She shrugs. "I had to think". I nod understandingly. "Would you please let me know next time? Then I don't have to be so worried". I see the tears in her eyes. "Sorry that wasn't my intention". I walk over to her and give her a hug. " I know that ". I tell her softly and let her go. "Would you like pasta tonight? ". I change the subject and luckily I now see a small smile appear at Melissa. " Yes please. I just need to tidy up the stuff and then we can go". I nod and Melissa walks out of the room.