Saturday, December 9, 2006

Valerie

I'm having a really great day so far. After Rose asked if Melissa could join us today, I really wondered why I hadn't thought of that myself. Everything is so much more fun with Melissa there. I really couldn't resist going for the Christmas tree that made her eyes shine. When we got home I put Rose to bed and Melissa and I settled on the couch. We have been lying close to each other for an hour now. Watching some house makeover show. "I'm going to get the decorations from the attic. Then I will wake Rose up and we can start the most important task of the day". I say as I pull away from Melissa with difficulty. " Do I need to help you?". I give her a small nod. " Please. It's quite a few boxes."

The Christmas tree is delivered at exactly the right time. Just when we have all the stuff in the living room and I got Rose out of bed, the doorbell rings. Together with Melissa I put the tree in the right place in the living room. Rose immediately hangs the first ornament in it. "Do you know what else I miss?". I look questioningly at Melissa and shake my head. "Christmas music". I get a big smile on my face. "Then I should do something about it." I grab my phone and connect it to the music system. As soon as the first sounds come out of the speakers, Melissa starts to sing along softly. It's really cozy and has a great atmosphere. Melissa surprises me when she grabs my hand and pulls me towards her. We dance together to one of the Christmas songs. Then she takes both hands of Rose to dance with her. I really love seeing Melissa like this.

After a while we have decorated the whole tree, except for the tree topper. That's Rose's job. "Help Lissa." Melissa looks at my daughter with a beautiful smile. "Don't you want to do that with mommy?". Rose shakes her head. I think Melissa's smile gets even bigger. I can't help but put a smile on my face. I love seeing how much Rose loves Melissa too. Melissa lifts Rose up and puts her on her shoulders. I give Rose the tree topper. With a little help from Melissa, Rose puts the tree topper on the tree. And I have another beautiful picture on my phone. "Mommy, can I coloring now?". Rose asks as soon as Melissa gets back on her own feet. "Of course sweetheart. Just sit down at the table and Mommy will get the things".

I grabbed the coloring stuff for Rose and made some pieces of fruit for her. As soon as she is coloring quietly, I walk back to Melissa. She's still standing in front of Christmas tree. I stand behind her and wrap my arms around her waist. "He turned out beautiful". I say softly as I rest my chin on her shoulder. She nods slightly. I feel Melissa leaning against me more and more and she puts her head against mine. We stand in silence for a few minutes. Suddenly Melissa puts her hands in front of her face. " What is?". I ask worried when I notice that she is crying. She shakes her head. I turn Melissa around in my arms. She immediately hides her face in my neck. I wrap my arms tightly around her. "Sweetheart, what's going on?". I ask softly. Melissa doesn't say anything, but grabs my sweater tightly and pulls me even closer to her. I silence we move quietly to the music. I can tell her tears haven't stopped yet. "They are not bad tears". After a while, Melissa almost whispers. "Would you like to tell me what kind of tears they are?". She shakes her head. "Okay, if you don't want to, you don't have to". I kiss her on the head. We keep moving along to the music for a while until I'm sure she's completely calm again.