Thursday, August 24, 2006

Valerie

The summer holidays have really flown by. I enjoyed two weeks with my mother and sister in Barcelona. It's so nice to have those two weeks together. As a result, the union we have only gets bigger. The rest of the holiday I spent almost every day with Emma and Melissa. Usually when Emma was at work, Melissa was with Rose and me. The four of us have also been out regularly. We have visited several zoos, playgrounds and swimming pools. I'm so glad those two came into my life.

The new school year will start in four days. Despite the wonderful holiday, I am also looking forward to it again. Today was my birthday and I celebrated it with by mother. I spent the whole day with my mother, sister, brother-in-law and Rose in my mother's garden. We didn't do much, but it was another day that will stay with me for a long time. Just having fun with each other and nothing has to be done and everything is allowed.

It's almost midnight now and I'm lying on the couch looking for a movie to watch. I hear my phone, which is on the table, vibrate. When I pick it up I see that I have a message from Emma. I continue to look at the contents of the message in surprise and then get up. I am asked if I want to open the front door. Emma already visited me this morning, so I really wonder what she wants now.

I open the front door and am completely surprised to see a nervous Melissa standing there. "Hey Lis. What is?". She gives me a nervous smile. " Uhm.. I-I just heard from Emma that today is your birthday. I w-wanted to give you a present". I get a big smile on my face. I've never seen a nervous Melissa before. She's kinda cute like that. "you didn't have to, Melissa. Do you want to come in?" She shakes her head. "No, it's late. I don't want to disturb you any further." I put an arm around her. I take her inside and close the front door behind us. "You actually come at the right time. I'm not very good at finding a good movie, so you can help me with that". Melissa gets a small smile on her face. " Are you sure?". I nod. "I also find it much more fun to watch a movie together than alone". She looks at me a bit surprised. "Is your husband already in bed?". I shake my head. "He will be in Norway for a few more days". Meanwhile, Melissa takes off her shoes. "Oh I would have expected him to be home on your birthday". We walk together to the living room. "His work comes first. He called me nicely this morning". Frankly, that surprised me. He sometimes wants to forget such things.

I plop down on the couch and Melissa sits down next to me. She hands me a plastic bag. "Sorry it was quite last minute and I didn't have any wrapping paper. Congratulations". With a big smile I take the bag from her. My smile gets even bigger when I see what's inside. "You remembered?". She gives me a small nod. "When you said you would like to read this book, I thought I must have it somewhere. When I later heard from Emma that today is your birthday, I threw everything upside down to look for it". I give her a tight hug. By the way, this really doesn't help to get rid of my feelings for Melissa. "Thank you, Lis. I am really happy with this". "You're right too. You don't want to know how my things are now messed up". she says laughing. "I'd like to help you clean up." She shakes her head. " Not necessary. I think I had to help you". I look at her questioningly. " Movie?". Oh yeah, I forgot all about that movie.

With a smile I hand her the remote control. " Good luck. I couldn't find anything. Where did you leave Emma anyway?". She gives me a small smile and then looks at the TV. "I'm guessing she's sleeping now. I left her at half past ten. When I just knocked on her window again to ask if she could send you a message, I got a earful at first. What I had to do on the street so late and that I had woken her up from her well-deserved beauty sleep". I shake my head with a smile. Although I can't blame Emma either. "She does have a point that you shouldn't be alone on the street so late". She shrugs. "Otherwise I wouldn't be in time for your birthday." I put an arm over her shoulders and kiss her on the head. Those butterflies won't get any less from this either. "I suppose you know where you sleep tonight". She looks at me with a smile. "In my own bed". I shake my head with a smile and get up. "I'll get you some clothes to sleep in."

When I get back downstairs, Melissa already has a movie ready. A romantic comedy. No, that won't help against the butterflies either. After Melissa has changed, we huddle close together on the couch. This is the perfect way to end my birthday.