13

When we arrived back to the Great Hall, I noticed we missed the sorting ceremony, though I didn't mind.

I kept my head low, not daring to look up as I made my way to sit besides Harry, Hermione at my other side.

"What was that about?" George whispered making me look to him and the other boys who looked to Hermione and I expectingly.

I had only just started to explain when I was cut off by Dumbledore who started giving his speech. 

"Welcome!" said Dumbledore, the candlelight shimmering on his beard. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think its best to get them out the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast..."

He cleared his throat before continuing, "As you will all will be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business."

It was here I recalled Mr. Weasley explaining how Dumbledore was not happy at all about their presence here at the school. 

"They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds and while they are with us, nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises --- even invisibility cloaks," he added blandly making me nearly choke on my own tongue. 

I know he knows everything,  but it's just creepy at times. Also, was there really any need to call us out like that, then again, we probably would have tried to use the cloak anyway, so maybe it was smart of him to do so. Either way, I feel called out none the less. 

Harry and I glanced at each other as he went on a bit more about the dementors, though my eyes scanned the professors table until they reached a certain man. 

"On a happier note," Dumbledore suddenly said changing the subject, "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher." 

There was some scattered, rather enthusiastic applause. Only those of us who were in the compartment earlier on the train with Professor Lupin clapped hard, me certainly among them. 

"Look at Snape!" Ron hissed in our ears.

Everyone knew the man has been out for the Defense Against the Dark Arts post for years now, and it was clear that he didn't look fond at all of Lupin, it was almost beyond anger, as though he loathed him entirely. Though, Harry and I knew the look well, it was one he most often of times gave us. 

It was then, we were all shocked by the news that Hagrid had been given the post of Care of Magical Creatures. We should have known considering the book he sent us, but I couldn't be more thrilled, knowing I would already love the class entirely, more than even before. 

Somehow, I managed to forget after this for a little while about the dementor on the train today, as the feast started an overwhelming feeling of familiarity struck me. I was among others like me, I had my brother and my closest friends all at my side as we ate to our hearts content. Laughing and talking about anything and everything.

Soon enough, we were lead to out dormitories and as I entered the circular room and saw my bed and belongings among the Hermione's and the other girls in out room, I looked round, and finally felt that I was home at last.