11 Happy birthday

Damian POV

The phone in my hand suddenly beeped as I waited in the arrivals hall to finally hold my Ellie in my arms again. These few days had clearly been too long.

And besides, I had the feeling that something had happened. Ellie sounded worried and even slightly distressed whenever we talked on the phone. I just had no idea what might have been going on. When I asked her about it, she just said that she wanted to tell me in person, that she needed to clear up a few things and that I shouldn't worry for now. But of course I was worried.

I read the message I had just received. It was from Ellie. She wrote that she had her luggage and that she would be there soon. And sure enough, it was only a few minutes before I saw my girl. I frowned. She looked damn tired. As if she had hardly slept in the last few days.

I quickly rushed to meet her. When she saw me, a big smile appeared on her face. I pulled her into my arms and immediately felt her relax. A deep sigh escaped her.

"Hey Ellie-Bell. I missed you!" I whispered in her ear.

"Hi my champion... I missed you more." she replied and then lifted her head so I could give her a long, tender kiss in greeting.

"Let's get you home." I then said and reached for her hand and then her suitcase so we could make our way to the car.

"Are you sure you're okay with us pre-celebrating your birthday since we have to work on Sunday?" she asked me as we stowed her luggage in the car.

"Of course. But I guess you're not going to tell me what your plans are?" I replied.

"Nope, but you don't have to wait that long. I just want to know if you want your present today" she giggled, sounding more like herself again.

"Oh baby, believe me you can give me anything you want..." I smirked.

----------------

"Are you finally done Damian? You're taking longer than me." I heard Ellie call after me as I was still in the bathroom getting ready for our date.

"I'll be right there!" I called back.

"Oh look at you.... My handsome birthday boy." she said as I walked into the living room.

And damn she looked good in her purple lace dress. I almost forgot to breathe. Although she had been teasing me all week about buying a new outfit, I hadn't expected it.

"Wow..." I whispered.

"I guess you like it? Thanks baby, but just wait until you see what's hiding underneath." she smirked and put a hand on my chest before reaching out to me.

"Oh what can I say except Happy Birthday to me." I replied before pulling this beautiful woman close so I could kiss her.

This was already a very special evening. I could just feel it.

--------------

"Ellie... what did you do? This is amazing!" I gasped as we sat together in the restaurant and she insisted I open one of my gifts.

It was a smartwatch. But the special thing about it was the strap. It was made of black leather with many small, silver skulls. Carefully I stroked my fingertip over it. I didn't even know that such straps existed for these watches.

"Happy Birthday! Do you like it?" she asked softly.

"Is that even a question? I love it! Thank you!" I replied, pulling her close to me.

"I'm glad you do. Speaking of... Damian?" she said a few minutes later.

"Yes, baby?" I replied as I brushed a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"I love you." She breathed softly, looking at me with wide, sparkling eyes.

"I love you too, Ellie-Bell." I said.

Ellie put her hand to my cheek. She gently stroked my face before leaning over and kissing me passionately. I had been meaning to tell her for a while, only the right time never came. But now I was more than happy to hear these words from her mouth. She loved me. I loved her. And that made this day so much more beautiful.

------------

"So...tell me about your week, baby girl. I want to know what's bothering you. I love you and I want to help you. But I can only do that if you tell me everything." I said as we walked along the waterside after our dinner.

Ellie sighed next to me as her arms wrapped around one of mine and she leaned against my shoulder. Slowly and a little hesitantly she began to tell me what had happened with her father and that she worried about being watched whenever she was in Boston.

"That's why I decided to move. Because clearly the 100 miles wasn't enough distance. I'm going to miss mom, but I have to do what's best for me. I think I'm going to move to Florida. So I can be closer to you. What do you think about that, D?" she explained to me.

"No." I replied simply as I thought about it.

"What do you mean by 'no'?" Ellie wanted to know. She sounded offended which is why I hurried to explain to her what I meant.

"If you're going to move, I want you to move in with me. It makes the most sense and I can take care of you. Nothing will happen to the woman I love!" I said.

"Are you serious? Is that really what you want?" asked Ellie as she stopped to look at me.

I nodded.

"Damian, I can't tell you how much I love you. And if you want me, I'll gladly move in with you!" she replied and then threw her arms around my neck.