28 I found something

Damian POV

I quietly opened the door and entered our house. It was already pretty late. Therefore, I tried not to make any unnecessary noise. The last thing I wanted to do was to wake Ellie or even the baby.

By now our little man was almost four weeks old and a little sunshine. Although my wife kept insisting that Hudson took after me, I disagreed. I saw so much of her in our son. The shape of his lips or his dimples, for example. Or his sweet smile.

I put my bag aside and tiptoed through the bedroom to the adjoining bathroom. It was dark, but I could still see Ellie lying in bed, sound asleep. Her hand was reaching out to touch Hudson lightly as he slumbered in his bassinet.

With a smile on my face, I quickly showered and brushed my teeth before I went to snuggle up to my Ellie-Bell in bed. But on my first steps out of the bathroom, I stubbed my big toe.

With difficulty, I suppressed a curse while half standing, half hopping on one leg.

"D? Are you okay?" asked Ellie quietly after turning on the bedside lamp.

"I'm great. Just my big toe isn't." I said quietly, a little breathless as I finally joined her in bed.

"My poor baby... Are you going to survive?" she asked worriedly, but I knew she had to stifle a laugh at the same time.

"Probably. Hey, my gorgeous wife. How are you and Hudson doing? Everything okay?" I asked as I pulled her into my arms.

Ellie rested her head against my chest and sighed contentedly. I felt her relax.

"We're perfectly fine. We've missed you, though. It's good to have you home. It will make Hudson very happy." she replied softly and then pressed a kiss to my pec, just above my heart.

"I've missed you guys just as much. I wish I could pack you in my pocket and take you with me." I sighed as I stroked her back.

"We can come with you when Hudson is a little older. I promise." said Ellie then.

"Wait a minute!" she then suddenly said, raising her head.

She looked at the nightstand.

"Oh it's just past midnight! Happy Birthday, my love!" she continued before pulling me into her arms to give me a loving birthday kiss.

"Thank you, baby girl. I love you, you know?" I replied while looking into her eyes.

The eyes that had captivated me from the first moment.

Ellie just opened her mouth to say something when the baby started to fuss. Hudson whimpered a little. His mom reached over and carefully lifted him out of his bassinet. Then she placed him in my arms.

"Looks like Wombat wants to wish you a happy birthday too, D." she said softly.

"Well thank you, son. I love you too, champ." I said to him before giving him a little kiss on the forehead.

"And we love you." whispered Ellie and then laid her head against my shoulder.

As we sat there like that, as a family, I realized once again how lucky I was. I had the love of my life by my side and our son in my arms.

I never thought that this simple favor, a spontaneous idea, would be the best thing that could happen to me. I found something that changed me quickly and yet permanently. And I would not have it any other way.