19 Cake heaven

Ellie POV

Annoyed, I looked at my phone again to check the time. We only had half an hour left, but that didn't seem to make Damian speed up a bit in the slightest.

"D! Come on we're going to be late!" I called for what felt like the fifth time.

"Take it easy. I'm done." he said as he finally stepped into the bedroom.

"Why do you always take so long?" I asked, nudging him lightly in the side.

"Greatness takes time, baby girl." he replied with a wink.

"Oh are you saying because I'm always quick to leave that I don't look good?" I wanted to know to tease him.

"What? No! That's not what I said. You know you look amazing without even trying!" he gushed as he looked at me with wide eyes.

"Calm down. I was just teasing you." I laughed at his startled face.

"Oh you're pretty cheeky!" He exclaimed and grabbed me simply and threw me on his shoulder before slapping me on the butt.

"Ah! Damian, put me down! You're wrinkling my dress!" I squealed, trying to sound pissed off but failing all the way.

"What, I thought we were late and I was going to carry you downstairs." he chuckled in his deep voice.

Immediately it was clear to me that if we would not have a appointment for the wedding, he would have been very happy to prolong this thing. And I could not hold it against him.

------------

"I don't know how we're going to decide with almost 20 flavors." said Damian as we sat in the cab, on our way to Brooklyn to pick out the cake for our wedding.

"I saw the list and I think I already have an idea which cake you'll like best. I just don't know if it's particularly wedding appropriate." I said as I held his hand.

Damian put his other hand on top before he started playing with the bracelet he had given me yesterday for Valentine's Day.

"Oh? And which one would that be, exactly?" he wanted to know.

"Well... I think you'll know it when you see it. I called ahead to rule out a few possibilities. Anything with nuts I crossed off the list. Although the chocolate and praline cake with hazelnut cream sounded pretty darn good." I replied.

"That's a good call. That could potentially lead to disaster." he said.

"Exactly. Alright my little sweet tooth... let's get started then." I replied as the cab came to a stop in front of the little bakery.

------------

"I don't particularly like the chocolate cake with mint. And I don't think the majority of our guests would," I said after we were halfway through the sample pieces.

"I still find strawberry cream and vanilla lemon the best. But then it really has to be the best, in session strawberries. I guess in May it's doable. What do you think?" asked Damian me before popping a piece of the chocolate fudge cake in his mouth.

"I agree. Although... this is super yummy too. But I think I can already rule out anything with cream cheese frosting. Is it possible to try the red velvet with vanilla buttercream instead of cream cheese frosting?" I asked the baker just as he came in with the next pieces.

"Certainly. Here we have plain vanilla sponge cake with salted caramel buttercream, chocolate cake with a ganache and raspberries, classic confetti cake and cookies and cream." He replied as he placed the plate on the table in front of us.

When Damian heard the words Cookies and Cream his head shot up. I knew he would like that best. With determination, he took this piece and placed it on his plate.

"That was the kind I knew you would like. How does it taste?" I wanted to know.

"Here, try it," he replied and then held out his fork to me with a bite of the cake.

And I had to admit that it tasted better than I thought. And judging by Damian's happy face, he was in cake heaven right now.

"Guess we found our cake, huh?" I giggled.

"Are you sure about this? Didn't you think it wasn't particularly appropriate for a wedding? Isn't it too juvenile?" he asked, a little surprised.

"In the end, only one thing matters...that we like it. And your sparkling eyes tell me you love it. So... Cookies and Cream it is." I replied as I took his chin in my hand and gave him a kiss.

"I love you, Ellie-Bell." he whispered.

"I love you too, love. But just so you know... I decide how the cake will be decorated." I replied, pecking his lips again and again.

"Of course. I wouldn't dream of contradicting the bride." said Damian with a smirk.

"You're a really smart man, Mister Priest. But I'm only comfortable when we find a compromise, and so far we've succeeded in every decision we've made," I replied before giving him another big kiss.