16 Everything that comes with it

Ellie POV

I stood in the bathroom by the sink and held onto it. Slowly I tried to take deep breaths, but again I was shaken by a persistent coughing fit. It was really starting to drive me crazy. But the doctor said that it was possible that this cough would accompany me for a while.

When it was over, at least for the moment, I rubbed my aching chest. Then I took a painkiller, hoping that this time it would take away the pain for more than an hour. Yet somehow I had my doubts.

"Ellie-Bell? I'm home. Where's my beautiful fiancée?" I heard Damian call from the doorway.

With a very joyful smile, I rushed to meet him.

"Hey... there she is..." he said softly when he saw me and quickly pulled me tightly into his strong arms.

I immediately relaxed. His presence alone was the best medicine I could imagine.

"Hi my big strong future husband." I said as I lifted my head from his chest so I could give him a kiss.

"I missed you baby girl. How are you?" he wanted to know as he took my face in his hands to look at me very closely.

"I'm bored out of my freaking mind! I wish I could go back to work already. I miss you and I miss being able to sneak up on you at work and pinch your cute butt." I replied, running my hands over said butt.

"Aww baby, you know it's only a few more days and then you can do it again as much as you want." he replied smirking and then gave me a kiss on the forehead.

"Ellie?" he then asked suddenly.

"Yes?" I said.

"How long have you had a fever?" he wanted to know.

Confused, I looked up at him and then touched my forehead. It was a little warm, but I don't think it was a fever.

"I'm not even that warm. It's probably just your hot lips, Mister Priest," I replied.

"Nice try. But I'll keep an eye on that. Did you take your meds?" he then asked.

"Yes, love, don't worry." I laughed, but was almost immediately shaken again by a cough.

"That still doesn't sound a bit better." he said as he rubbed my back soothingly.

"I know... But you know what the doctor said. After smoke intoxication, it can take up to 40 days for the respiratory system and the rest of the body to recover." I replied.

"Just because I know doesn't mean I like it. I need you healthy if we're going to get married soon, baby girl. And after that...who knows how long it'll be before little feet are tap-dancing around this house?" he said, surprising me a bit.

"Wait, what? So you're already thinking about babies? Someone is very eager, huh? Isn't this all moving too fast for you, babe?" I wanted to know.

"Ellie... you can be sure that when it comes to you, nothing is too fast.... I love you. Everything is a perfect match between us. Why should I waste time when I'm already where I've always wanted to be? I am not someone who wastes time. "he replied and then gave me a kiss on the nose.

"I couldn't agree with you more. And I love you more. But let's take things in order. First we get married, then we have a baby." I grinned and then reached out to my perfect match.

------------------------

Damian POV

I was abruptly pulled out of my sleep when I heard Ellie coughing again. But this time it didn't stop at all. I sat up and looked at her, startled, as she was still gasping for air.

I quickly slid close to her to be able to hold her. Immediately I felt how hot she was. She definitely had a fever. And it was much higher than it was at noon.

"Okay...that's enough...we're going to the hospital. This is not normal anymore." I said after she started to breathe more.

I could see in her eyes that she was scared. I was scared too. Because I could clearly see that she was having a lot of trouble breathing.

It cost me a lot of strength to concentrate only on Ellie. And not on the bastard who was to blame for the whole thing. My fears of losing her immediately came back to my mind. I swallowed hard. That was out of the question. That wasn't going to happen.

I helped Ellie get dressed and then put on my clothes myself. We had to hurry. The more time passed, the more labored her breathing became. I quickly lifted her in my arms and carried her to the car.

Fortunately, it was not long before we arrived at the hospital. The doctors and nurses were taking care of Ellie. They gave her oxygen and drew her blood before taking her for x-rays.

They wanted to take an x-ray of her lungs to see what was going on. I wondered why it had gotten so bad so quickly. After all, the doctors in Boston had said she was on the mend. Maybe the flight hadn't been a good idea.

"Mr. Priest? You can come now." the nurse said as she came into the waiting room.

"Hey Ellie-Bell... How are you feeling?" I asked as I gave her a kiss on the forehead and took her hand in mine.

"She shouldn't talk for now Sir, Miss Robertson is on oxygen and antibiotics for the next few hours. She has severe pneumonia, which has caused her to have mild pulmonary edema. That means she has fluid in her lungs.

It is a known yet rare complication after smoke intoxication. But it is very well treatable. It was good that you brought her in right away. Because of your quick action it didn't come to the worst," the doctor explained.

A huge weight fell from my heart. I breathed a sigh of relief and then gave all my attention to Ellie.

Hopefully she would recover quickly so that nothing would remind us of this terrible incident. Because I knew that we both wanted nothing more than to look into the future and start our life together. With everything that came with it.