15 Well?

Damian POV

"How are you feeling today, baby girl?" I asked as we made our way to the lawyer's office.

By now a week had passed since the fire and Ellie was able to leave the hospital. She was doing much better, but we still had to keep an eye on her breathing. The coughing wasn't quite as bad as it was at first, but her airways still hurt quite a bit. She was also dealing with headaches and nausea. All caused by the smoke inhalation. The cuts on her collarbone and arm were slowly healing and fortunately had not become infected.

It also helped that her mother was always by her side. She was the one parent she could rely on unconditionally. 

That's why we were able to meet with the lawyer and the judge today. Ellie had to make an official statement that was to be filmed. Thanks to the thorough investigation and Ellie's evidence, it was clearly established that that scumbag Scott was guilty. Therefore, it was probably not necessary for Ellie to appear in court to testify.

I knew how relieved she was. She definitely didn't want to see him again. And I probably would have strangled him with my bare hands for what he had done to my baby.

"It's gonna be okay... I just want to get this over with. It's been a long week." replied Ellie.

"I know... But you're almost there. The son of a bitch is going to end up behind bars for a long time and we won't look back. I've already had a few things set up for you at home." I said, adding the last part to distract her a bit.

It worked. Immediately, her head turned in my direction. Ellie had that curious sparkle in her eye that I was very familiar with by now.

"Oh what is it?" she asked excitedly.

"It's a surprise, Ellie-Bell. Be patient." I replied.

"That's really mean. But I'm still looking forward to it. To our home..." said Ellie, then sighed.

"I know how you feel. Tell me... do you want to get some more stuff and more clothes here or do you want to wait until we get to Orlando?" I wanted to know.

"I think it's enough if I buy everything else I need in Orlando. That reminds me... I wanted to thank you again for this week. You've been so great and I love you so much for it." she replied, reaching for my hand as I brought the car to a stop.

"I love you too, baby girl. You can't imagine how much. But I'm going to show you. Always." I said as I leaned in and very gently put my hand to her cheek.

"Mmmmh...that sounds very tempting." whispered Ellie against my lips as she leaned in.

"That's not what I meant, but I like the way you think, baby," I replied softly before we kissed passionately.

Afterwards, we headed inside to put the whole issue behind us.

---------------------

"Thank God we're finally here." Ellie said as we stood in front of our home, sounding so relieved. Like a ton of bricks had been lifted off her shoulders.

"I know... Alright... remember how I said I had a surprise for you?" I replied, putting my arm around her waist as I paused for a moment outside the door and didn't immediately unlock it.

"Yes and I can't wait." she giggled and hugged me tightly.

"Here's the first part of your surprise." said I, handing her a small envelope.

Carefully she opened it and took out the key to her new home. And then the little note I had put with it.

"Cásate conmigo? Wait... that's what you said to me last week... right after the...? right? What does that mean?" she asked me again, slightly confused.

I tried not to let on and to keep from laughing. But her face didn't make it easy for me.

"You'll find out when you unlock the door with your new key," I smirked.

Ellie immediately put the key in the lock and opened the door. Then she went into the living room where a big banner and lots of red rose petals and balloons were already waiting for her.

On the banner were the same written words as on the little note she had read before. Only she still did not understand what it was about. 

In the meantime, I got down on one knee behind her and waited for my baby to turn around.

"D, can you maybe tell me what it means? Damian?" she finally said before finally turning to me.

"Holy shit!" she gasped, slapping her hands over her mouth.

"Ellie-Bell... I don't know if I can put into words how much you mean to me or how much I love you. But I promised to always show you. I want you forever. As my partner, as my love, as my wife. That's why I'm asking you...

Eleanor Robertson, will you marry me?" I asked.

Instead of an answer, she just threw herself into my arms and covered my face with kisses as she squealed joyfully. I thought what it must mean, but I wanted to hear it.

"Well?" I insisted a little.

"Yes! Yes! Yes! A thousand times yes! I love you so much!" she finally replied.