23 What took you so long?

Ellie POV

As I stood in the aisle with the pregnancy test, it went through my mind why I was doing this in the first place. It would be negative again anyway. And slowly but surely my frustration got the better of me. We hadn't used protection since the wedding. Since we were planning on having a baby anyway, it made sense to go off the pill. But nothing had happened in the time leading up to D's birthday. Not that we had really planned it out or anything. But it could have happened. Even now that we had decided to work really hard on our family nothing had happened.

7 months without the pill and nothing had changed. Despite ovulation math and taking temperature. Nothing. Slowly but surely I was getting worried. And of course that didn't help the whole thing one bit. But every negative test was like a kick in the butt.

Damian was an absolute dream. Again and again he assured me that I had nothing to worry about, that such things sometimes took time. I knew he was right, of course. Still, I was afraid that maybe it wasn't meant for us.

With a deep sigh, I grabbed several tests and headed for the checkout. I was already late for work. And Damian was probably already wondering where I was.

I walked quickly through the cold to the arena. The wind was icy, but still it was somehow peaceful. The way the snowflakes danced and the Christmas lights sparkled. I couldn't help but wonder if maybe next year we would celebrate Christmas as a family of three.

"Ellie-Bell? What took you so long? Are you okay?" I heard my husband ask as soon as I entered the arena.

His long arms wrapped around me as he looked inquiringly into my face. Of course he knew immediately where I was with my thoughts. He gave me a kiss on the forehead and then pulled me into a secluded part backstage.

"Come on, baby girl... Don't make such a long face. It's going to be okay...we will have a baby. You don't have to beat yourself up about it. We have time." said D as he pulled me to his chest.

"I know... I know... I just wonder if maybe something is wrong with me and I-" I replied until he interrupted me.

"Why do you think it could be you? Has it ever occurred to you that it might be me?" he asked.

I looked up at him and shook my head. I could never have had such a thought in my life.

"See? In the same way, I don't think it's because of you.... I know the whole thing makes you emotional, but our baby will come into our lives when we least expect it." he replied.

"Hey guys. Damian, get off your butt. We've got to get going. Ohhh what's going on? Do we have a wombat on the way yet?" we heard Rhea say as she walked quickly toward us.

Obviously she had been looking for D. But that wasn't what surprised me.

"You talked to her about it?" I asked my husband.

"I was just so excited.... It just slipped away." said Damian, looking at me with a big grin.

"You are impossible! This is between you and me. Isn't it bad enough that I'm beating myself up for not getting pregnant? Now I'm being asked about it, too!" I replied, upset, before breaking away from him and leaving.

I had to get to work anyway and this way I wouldn't have to see him for a few hours. I knew I was probably overreacting a bit, but after all, he knew how tense I was about the whole thing.

It took me a few hours to calm down again. I had enough time to think about everything. And I understood why he had done it. Damian was so excited to become a father. Of course he wanted to share that with his friends.

I would apologize to him as soon as he walked in the door, but as long as I had to wait, I figured I might as well take the test. Then at least I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. At least not for the next few weeks.

As I stood in the bathroom, clinging to the sink, I barely heard the door to the hotel room open and close. It wasn't until warm arms wrapped around me from behind that I lifted my head and saw Damian's glum expression in the mirror.

"I'm sorry..." he began.

But I quickly turned in his arms, took his face in my hands and silenced him with a kiss.

"You have absolutely nothing to be sorry for, love. It was my fault. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you. I've just been so tense lately." I said as I looked deep into my husband's eyes.

"Let's just forget about the whole thing okay? You were right, it was just supposed to be between you and me." he replied.

"Well.... it was..." I said and then reached for the test to show him.

"Oh my god... Are you serious?" he asked as his eyes grew huge.

"Yes, we made it. We actually got a little wombat on the way." I replied as tears ran down my cheeks.

"God, I can't tell you how much I love you." said Damian before kissing me passionately.

"I... I mean... we love you too." I replied, sobbing.

"Oh wait... the baby might come on my birthday, right?" he said suddenly.

"Probably before, unless he or she makes us wait a few weeks," I giggled.