Part 32

The past few days, Arestair has been kind of.... chill. He didn't cuss, yell or force himself on her. He stuck around and kept his eyes on her all the time. As always.

But that was better than his usual behavior. Alyssa wasn't gonna complain. Cayas has been coming by a lot frequently. He seems to be the only one whom Ares can't control.

More like, he doesn't control.

Cayas has been sticking around Alyssa like a bug. But Ares would let it go with only a few warnings.

This was shocking to Alyssa at first as Arestair seemed to lose his cool whenever someone came too close to her. That only meant he trusted Cayas that much.

Jordan had a good long scolding session with Alyssa for avoiding him over an assumption. Turns out, Ares just punched him in the face and that was it.

He could easily take a punch or two. The wounds on his hands were from something else. The words Jordan said echoed in her mind.

' Sir isn't as heartless as you might think. He wouldn't punish us unless we've done something awfully wrong. And this applies to every single one of his subordinates '. Or so he said.

If that's true, then why was he punishing her? What wrong did she ever do? Why was she being treated like this? Held captive, forced into.... sexual assaults.. Thoughts roamed freely.

" Ouch! " she fell as she hit a wall.

" Hey, are you all right?  Didn't see you there "A hand reached out to her. So the wall was Cayas she thought. She grabbed his hand and got up.

" Why did you pretend to be a wall "

" Why would I wanna be a wall? I was just standing here. You were the one who bumped into me" True enough.

" So, what got you so deep in  thought ?" Cayas asks.

" Nothing much. Just this and that. Can I ask you something?" this was new. Alyssa was able to speak with Cayas with ease. No fear, no nervousness .. Nothing. Even though he's the same as Ares. A mafia leader. Yet way less intimidating.

"How did you become a mafia leader? I know Arestair was raised in a mafia household. But you seem different. As if you come from a different world than him " Alyssa's curious eyes stared straight into Cayas's eyes which looked taken back by her question.

" Well, you're certainly right about that. My world was different than his that's for sure. I was born in the slums. My parents abandoned me when I was 5. I slaved away for food until one day I just had to kill. 

That was my turning point. I realized I got a knack for fighting. I created a small group with my friends in the slums. That little group soon became a big gang. And then I met Ares. He helped and my gang officially became one of the strongest mafia gangs in the continent. Of course not nearly as strong as his, but.. you get the point.'

'Why did you have to kill? Was there really no other way to  handle the situation?' Cayas gave her a stern look. A look that said 'Don't say something that you never faced yourself '

After a long pause he said-

"Would you walk away if you saw one of your friends getting raped in front of people? In broad daylight?" His questions were enough to answer all her questions.

The images of that day flashed in his memories. He went out that day to find some food with other boys. He returned and saw a huge commotion going on. Screaming sounds were heard. He went near and pushed past the crowd only to see three drunk men holding down a completely naked Selene. One of them thrusting inside her already.. His disgusting laugh echoed in his ear.

 Selene.. The girl he considered his own sister. That Selene...

Anger would be an understatement. The hatred he felt back then was like no other. He was even more furious at the people who were just standing there doing nothing. Why wouldn't they help, why wouldn't they stop them, why would they watch a girl get raped.. Are they here to enjoy the fucking show?

He saw blood.

The slums were filled with junk. It was easy to find a big piece of glass sharp enough to cut throats. It didn't take even a whole minute. The corpses of the men with slit throats fell on the ground.

" Why didn't any of you help?"  He screamed before finishing off about half of the spectators. Selene's scream stopped him from his blood lust. He rushed to her and covered her naked body with his ripped shirt which was fortunately oversized.

Her body was filled with bruises. That day he discovered another alternative way that could change his lifestyle forever. It could make him able to protect the people he loved while providing for them as well.  And it did.

Cayas came closer to Alyssa and held her chin. He bent down to her level. Cayas was almost as tall as Arestair. What was with these people and their enormous heights.

His face was so close that one wrong move would result in them kissing. She moved backward but Cayas gently held her back. His hold wasn't harsh but firm enough to stop her from moving.

'Why is it that I feel like you have some prejudice against us Mafia people?' that was like a smack in the face for Alyssa.

'I do not have any prejudice! I'm just being careful!' she quickly answered.

She didn't have prejudice. At least that's what she wanted to believe. But deep down she knew she believed that all Mafia were bad. But that is a fact, right? That's not prejudice...

'I hope that's true.' he brought his mouth near her ear. His warm breath gave a shiver down her spine. This was wayy too close for her comfort..

'Let me tell you something, Alyssa. This life isn't a bed of roses. Things may not always be the way they seem.

Someone who seems cruel might be the most just person you've ever seen. And someone who seems kind may just be a sinister vile creature in disguise of an angel.

You can never judge a person by their outer layer. I would be careful with my choices if I were you.' he whispered.

Alyssa pushed him away and just hurriedly walked past him. He did NOT have to whisper or be that close to her. Her heart gave away the amount of nervousness she felt.. She was not happy with the way the interaction happened.

On the other hand, a content smirk formed on Cayas's face as he had achieved his goal. Seeing a fuming Arestair walk off in the other direction of the hallway made it clear.

He wanted to give his best friend a little hint. A hint of a beginning. After all, he did not want to be accused of stabbing his friend in the back.