As Time Passed By: Chapter Three

"Farkle, man, are you really that blind?" Lucas says slinging his arms around his shoulders.

"What are you talking about?" Farkle says as he takes a bite from his burger.

"Can you really not tell that Smackle is head over heels for you?" Riley points out snuggling into Lucas's arm.

"You two disgust me." I say looking at Riley and Lucas straight in the eye.

Those two have been together since last year's homecoming dance after they were crowned king and queen. They've been sickeningly sweet and it disgusts and makes me wanna go 'awwwww' at the same time.

"Shut up, Maya." I just shake my head at Riley's awful attempt at a retort.

Lunch was nearly over when Mrs. P. came up to us. "Maya, I'm so sorry for interrupting your time with your friends, but I have something important to tell you."

"Sure. What is it Mrs. P?" I say looking up to her from my seat.

"I can't go with you to the art gallery tonight." She breaks the news to me. My face gave of a frown so she proceeds to explain. "I forgot and my husband hates me for it, but tonight is the anniversary of the day we first met in college and he wanted to take me out on a date later tonight."

"That's really romantic Mrs. Pembleton." Riley coos and I can't but help and agree with her.

"Yes well... You can still go. It would be a shame to see these tickets go to waste. Here they are," she hands them over to me, "I hope you'd have a great time."

"You too, Mrs. P." I say taking the tickets from her. She pats me on the back before she leaves.

The warning bell rings, but we don't stand up. I look to Lucas and Farkle as a sign whether or not they want come with me.

"Do you really want us to go with you?" Lucas says.

"You're right. Riley?" I say fluttering my lashes.

She averts her gaze for a moment before looking at me and a smile breaks out on her face. "Oh sure I'll go with you."

"Yay! Now c'mon. Let's get to class." I say gathering my things and bring my lunch tray to where we're supposed to leave it.

***
"Sup weirdos." I say walking in the Matthew residence like I owned the place. The first thing I noticed was that Josh was on the couch watching TV with his feet on the coffee table looking like he owned the place. And then I see Mrs. Matthews fixing Mr. Matthews' bow tie. "Looking pretty snazzy there Matthews." I say and then I notice Mrs. Matthews was in a formal dress too, and I have to say she looks amazing.

"Mrs. Matthews! Love the dress!" I say.

"Thank you, Maya." She says after finishing with Mr. Matthews's bow tie.

"Mom! Can I please go with Maya to this Art Gallery??" Riley begs.

"Riley, you're forgetting. Tonight's Katherine's engagement party remember, one of my best friends from work." Mrs. Matthews says.

"But mom..."

"No buts Riley. I'm sorry Maya." Mrs. Matthews reprimands before turning to me.

"It's okay... I just have an extra ticket that's all..." I say looking at the two tickets in hand.

And then a light bulb appears Mr. Matthews's head. "Hey, maybe Josh can go with you? He's got nothing to do tonight." He suggests. Oh boy.

My hands start to sweat. "Uncle Josh, can you go with Maya to an Art gallery tonight?" Riley says taking a seat next to him catching his attention.

"Why aren't you going with her?" Someone was obviously not paying attention.

"We've got an engagement party to got to, and the tickets Maya has is only for tonight." Riley says looking at me and Josh back and forth.

Josh looks at me. "Yeah sure. I don't mind. Got nothing to do anyway."

"Yay! Thanks Uncle Josh! You're the best!" Riley says hugging him. Nobody notices, but Riley winked at me.

Riles, you're gonna pay for this.