As Time Passed By: Chapter Eighteen

Oh. My. God.

A few months ago, Riley and I applied to an art school in Paris: St. Catherine's University of the Arts. It's one of the most prestigious art school in the world. I applied for a full scholarship on Fine Arts, while Riley applied for a half scholarship on Fashion Designing. We managed to get our applications in on time. Now, it's time for the moment of truth.

We get the letters from Mrs. Matthews. We were so engrossed because of the letters that we didn't notice Shawn enter the house. "Okay," Riley takes a shaky breath. "Let's open them on three: One, Two, Three!" We rip the envelope open and I quickly scan the letter.

Dear Ms. Hart,
We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to study in St. Catherine's University of the Arts on FULL SCHOLARSHIP. Term starts on the second week of August. We expect your reply by the end of June....

"I GOT IN!!!!" I jump up and down and hug Uncle Josh, who was the closest person next to me. After a moment, I realize how awkward this is, so I let got. I clear my throat and look to Riley. "Riley, how about you?"

I notice a solemn expression as she reads the letter. I grow worried. "Riles?" I say.

A smile slowly spreads on her face and then she screams, "We're going to Paris, baby!!!"

We both squeal in excitement and run towards each other. My best friend and I are going to Paris!

*****
Dinner was all chatter. Shawn also broke the news to us that one of the novels he's been secretly working on is about to get published. He wouldn't tell us what it was about, so we let it go.

"Girls, what do you think of a congratulatory party? At the bakery for your getting in at the University?" Mrs. Matthews says over dessert.

"That'd be great mom! Thanks!"

"Yeah, Mrs. Matthews. Thanks a lot." I say.

"Anything for you two. How does Friday next week sound?" She suggests.

"That'd be great mom." Riley says.

"Good. I'll take care of everything, but I'll leave he invites to you."

*****
"Couldn't sleep?" I jolt as I se and hear Uncle Josh come up behind me. It's 2AM, so that means it's already Sunday. I was just watching some random show on TV. I really wasn't paying attention. I was still buzzing from excitement because of the acceptance letter.

"Oh Uncle Josh! You scared me." He sits beside me on the sofa. "Yeah.... I'm still buzzing with excitement."

"I can tell." He chuckles. "You hoping to find love there?" He asks nonchalantly. To say that question hasn't crossed my mind would be a lie.

"No... I don't know. I don't even know what love's supposed to feel like." I answer.

"The little I know about love is that it's about finding home, not a house - but the person. You could be anywhere in the world. You could be the richest andost powerful person, but if that person is not beside you - there's an absence and it's as if you're never really happy." He pauses. Sensing that I wanted him to elaborate, he continued.

"Take Shawn for example, why do you think he stayed. After all these years on the road, why do you think he finally settles down here in New York?" He asks now facing me.

"Because he got old?" I joke trying to keep the serious conversation light.

He chuckles. "No, the real reason."

"Because Mr. and Mrs. Matthews are here and so is Riley?" I say.

"Yes... and no. He stayed because of you. Because he loves and he wants to be there for you." I was silenced

"You know little about love eh?"