As Time Passed By: Chapter Four

When we arrived, I didn't expect we'd be seeing photographic gallery. I guess I didn't read what was written on the tickets very well.

"So... Art, that's what you want to do?" Josh asks.

"Yeah... this is just one kind of it though... Uncle Shawn would love this. I'm more of a paintings drawings kind of girl." I say observing the picture right at the entrance of the exhibit. It was a simple black and white photo of a phone booth in England.

We moved on to the next photo and before anything else, I said, "Hey, thanks for going with me tonight," with a small smile playing on my face.

"No problem... This stuff's pretty great anyway." We were moving along the gallery quite quickly when I halted at a photo.

"Hey Maya, I think I need to go to the comfort room. Maya?" Josh looks behind him when he heard no reply from me. He notices me standing still in front of the photograph.

The photo was of a man and a woman smiling at each other. They were standing facing each other. Just standing, but everything around them blurred out. And you can see the photographer captured the most important element in the moment - the love in each other's eyes.

"Look at it... I mean really look at it."

"Huh? What about it?" He stands beside me and tilts his head probably thinking what the hell I could see in such a simple and clichéd photo.

"Look how he captured this perfect moment. It's just him and her in the world. Like if he could give her the world he would. Like if he wasn't in the world, she wouldn't find a point in living in it. They're looking at each other as if they're each other's definition of happiness." I say. They're looking at each other the way I wish someone looked at me.

"Wow..." He looks at me, dumbfounded, and I just smile goofily at him. Oh boy.

***
We walk in the Matthew Residence laughing at something Josh said. The Photography Exhibit was amazing, and surprisingly, Josh and I fell into easy conversation.

I'm sleeping over tonight because.... well because I felt like it, so Josh didn't drop me off at my place.

"You two look like you had a great time." Mrs. Matthews says.

"Topanga! You're home early!" Josh says hanging his jacket on the rack.

"No we aren't. And so are you. It's past eleven." That's when I noticed she was already in her pajamas and was drinking the remains of the glass of milk.

"Time flew fast, didn't it?" Josh says taking the words right out of my mouth.

"I guess it did. We stop for coffee on the way home and, I guess, lost track of time." I explain.

Mrs. Matthews looks at us with a knowing smile. "Well, make sure to lock up." She places her glass on the counter and proceeds to her room.

"I think I'm gonna head on to Riley's Room, too. Better get some sleep." I say walking to the direction of her room.

"Yeah sure. I'll lock up." He rubs the back of his neck and moves to double lock the door.

Before I stepped into the hallway, I say, "Hey, Uncle Josh?" His head turns at the sound of my voice. "I had a great time tonight," I say with utmost honesty.

"Me too."