As Time Passed By: Chapter Nine

Riley's POV

A month has already passed. Maya's still at the hospital.

They say she's healing fast. Her ribs were already healed and they've taken off the cast on her harm. Her leg, however, was still in a cast. They say there won't be any scars on her, but her leg will never be the same. She can never strain or the damage may be permanent.

Farkle's become catatonic. He talks when spoken to, but he isn't the Farkle that Maya always tried to protect. Yesterday, when dad forced us to go to school, he got an F on an assignment and he didn't even flinch or complain.

Uncle Josh has barely left Maya's side. He stays with her always. He doesn't go home. Mom and dad just bring him clothes here at the hospital. Lucky him, I'm forced to go home every other night.

I've become quite withdrawn as well. Haven't been eating really well. My appetite seems to have deserted me. I can't sleep properly, whenever I do, all I get is nightmares. Luckily I have Lucas, all the bad dreams seems to go away whenever he's around.

Lucas seems to be the only one doing pretty good. He's been trying to be the positive force in the group. Something I've always been. Now, that title has deserted me. He never misses a day of school, probably for mine and Farkle's sake as well.

Thats where we are now. School. Sitting in one of my father's class. I don't even know which class this is. And frankly, I don't care.

"Self-defense mechanisms." He begins. "All living things have one. Whether it be an animal that can change color, or a beautiful flower with thorns. It could even be a person's tendency to push away other people."

"Now this is what I want everyone to do, I want you all to write a paper on something or someone you know who has a self-defense mechanism. It can be anything or anyone. Write about what they do for a self-defense and why you chose it for a topic. You may begin now." He says taking a seat on his teacher's chair.

This paper is pointless. But I do it anyway since I don't have anything else to do for the next hour.

*****
School is finally over, and right now I'm with Lucas and Farkle. We're in the hospital and on our way to Maya's room.

I halted in my steps when I hear sobbing in the room. I motion for them too stop, too. I open the door a bit so I can see who it is.

It was Uncle Josh...

"Maya... I'm sorry I kept pushing you away." He sniffs. "I'm finally gonna own up to why I kept pushing you away, alright? Just promise me you'll wake up." He says with desperation in his voice.

"You made me feel alive Maya Hart. Your tattered heart pieces gave my empty one a reason for beating." He clutches her hand tightly his voice becoming more desperate with each and every word. "Just please wake up. Please."

I look up to Lucas and Farkle and see sadness etched upon their faces, too. Farkle's arm encircles around me and I know that, he too, was feeling desperate and as though he was dangling on a cliff and little by little his arms were getting too tired.

Please wake up, Maya. Please.