As Time Passed By: Chapter Thirty-Two

A/N: Didn't think I should keep you waiting any longer. ;)

[UN-EDITED]
*****

"Josh, what are you doing here?" I say shocked to find him there. I didn't think he'd have the nerve to show his face to me so soon. But then again, we were leaving in three days.

I take a good look at him and notice he looked really tired. There were dark bags under his eyes and he looks lol he hasn't gotten any rest for weeks. "I just... I just wanted to make sure you were okay." He looks past my shoulder and greet them. "Hey Shawn, Angela, Ms. Hart."

"Hi, Josh." Mom says. "Umm don't mind us, we're just about done here. Just have to clean up." And as she says this, they all rise from their seats and collect the dishes.

"Oh, I can handle that." I say.

"You sure honey?" Mom asks and before I could reply, Josh pipes up. "I can help you out."

"You sure honey?" Mom asks. This time, I know she wasn't asking about the dishes.

"It's okay mom." I nod

"Alright, we'll be going then." Dad says before throwing me a worried glance before leaving the room with Angela and Mom.

I head straight for the dishes and bring them over to the sink. "What are you doing here Josh?"

"I said I wanted to make sure you were okay." He says grabbing some of the plates.

"What are you really doing here?" I ask turning on the tap.

"I just... I don't know." He says as we start a system. He scrubs and I rinse. "I just wanted to see you."

"Well now you've seen me, you can go now." I say refusing to look at him.

"I don't know what to say... Out of all the things running in my head, no words are spilling out." You got that right.

"Why don't you start explaining what happened to your girlfriend? That night, you told us she was coming over for dinner as well." I say my voice cold and void of any emotion.

"Yea... We had a rain check that night." He say managing a small smile. Right, it was the night of the accident. They all rushed to the hospital.

"So, are you still together?" I ask.

"No. She broke up with me a week after the accident." He says and this makes me straighten my back. I'd come to the conclusion they'd broken up, but I didn't think it was her what broke up with him. I wonder why?

"Oh. I'm sorry."

"No need to be, but tell me Maya." He halts washing and looks at me. "What are we?"

I answer his question with a question of my own. "I don't know. What are we?"
*****

It's the morning after and last night's conversation (if you would call it a conversation) was still weighing heavy on my shoulders. Why can't relationships be easy?

"A cup of coffee please." I say to the barista. I was on my way to Riley's when I stop by for a cup of coffee. I had just paid for my drink when I hear someone call my name.

"Maya?" It was a girl around my age I guess, but she was wearing and NYC t-shirt. She walks over to me and says, "Hi, I'm Selena."

"Hi?" I say awkwardly. Her name wasn't ringing any bells. She didn't look like a face I've seen before either. "Uhh... Sorry, but I don't think we've met before." I say a bit hesitantly, thinking maybe I could've just forgotten her and she might take offense.

She giggle and says, "No. We haven't." My brow crease at her statement. "But I've seen you before. I stayed with Josh as he watched over you a the hospital for a couple of days."

Selena. Josh's ex-girlfriend.

"Selena as in Josh's girlfriend." I say. This conversation has gotten ten time more awkward.

"Ex-girlfriend." She says, though it doesn't look like it seems to affect her.

"Right. Uhh... He didn't really say..." I stutter, not sure whether to ask her the question on my mind or not. "Would you mind my asking on why you broke up with him? Just out of curiosity."

"I saw the way he was around you. After the accident. He was totally different. He couldn't sit still. Couldn't sleep. He refused to eat. And he just wasn't Josh. And it was a week into the accident I realized he was in love with you." What? "I have no right or whatsoever to stand in the way of your happy ever after." And she said this with a kind of sadness I can't quite explain.

"Don't you have feelings for Josh?" I ask still wondering what demented her to break up with him. Martyrdom was only popular in the Roman Era alright?

"I do. Maybe as a friend. He was cute and polite. A rare breed these days. And there was no harm in going out with him. I went out with him because I felt like he would be a breath of fresh air from all the bad boy wannabe's. I liked him. But I didn't love him. Not the way he loves you." She says giving me a small smile. "You're really lucky to have him, Maya." Before I could say anything else, her phone buzzes and then she says, "It was nice chatting with you, but I have to go."

"Oh yes." I nod still a little speechless after what she's told me. I start to turn around and grab my coffee. But before that, I called out to her, "And Selena? Thank you for telling me." I say giving her a wistful smile to which she replies with a nod.
*****

t's past eleven in the evening and after dinner, everyone decided to have an early night.

"When I marry you," I took notice that he said 'when' not 'if.' "I want us to be ready. I want to have seen the world already. I want your career as an artist to take off and I'd be a good enough architect and design you the house overlooking the sea that you've always dreamed of. And after that, we're gonna have two wonderful children."

I had fallen asleep but woke up when a recurring dream made itself known again. This time though, I know exactly who the guy in the dream was. Of course it would be Josh.

I was on the way to get myself a glass of milk when I heard voices in the dining area. "Katy, I don't see why we need to talk about this." It was mom and dad.

"I know it's none of my business, but if you won't listen to Maya, you will listen to me." Mom says with a stern voice. Like the one she always used to scold me when I was little. "We only have so much time in this world. Don't waste any more of it." She says, her voice soft.

"Katy..." Shawn trails off. By this point of their conversation. I already knew what my mom was going to say. I had told her before of my hope that Shawn and Angela to get together. And surprisingly, she had shared my wishes.

"You and I didn't work out." She says. "We weren't the perfect fit in a puzzle, but you and Angela are."I hear her take a deep breath. "I'm not telling you this as former lover. I'm telling you this as a friend. And as a friend I want what's best for you. And Angela is best for you." I figured this would be the best time to po in on their conversation.

"Mom? Dad? What's going on?" I says feigning ignorance. I take a seat beside dad.

"Nothing sweetie." Mom covers up. "We were just talking about your leaving in a few days." Dad nods in agreement and says, "We're really gonna miss you kiddo."

"I'm going to miss you, too." I say leaning my head on his shoulder.

"You'll be okay without me right?" I say after a moment's silence.

"Shouldn't we be the one asking you that?" Days says chuckling. And I couldn't help but smile as well. Yeah...

Do Leave A Comment =)