As Time Passed By: Chapter Thirteen

Riley's POV

It's been two months since that dreadful Thursday night. Lucas and I are at hospital doing our homework.

It's past dinner time and everyone was minding their own business. Dad's at home checking some papers and whatnot. Mom's with dad going over some paperwork. Maya's mom is at a meeting regarding how long she's going to be out because of Maya. Uncle Shawn... I don't what he's doing actually. Ever since that night with Angela, he's been quite distant, something that's normal for him apparently. Uncle Josh has been kicked out of room by mom and dad. He has hardly left the room. Farkle's been dragged home to do homework and projects. I've been told Mrs. Minkus has been really worried of Farkle.

So, Lucas and I are alone.

I was solving a really difficult math problem when I felt a weight on my shoulder. I look at Lucas only to find him staring at me with those blue eyes of his.

My heart skips a beat. Even after five years, he still gives me that reaction. "What?"

"I love you." He says looking at me straight in the eyes.

"I love you, too." I say chuckling at his weird behavior.

"Why are you laughing?"

"Nothing... It's just you're cute."

"Cute?" He looks at me incredulously. "Riley. We've been together for three years now, I think I'm way past cute." He says.

"And what would you say you were then?" I say looking down at his cyan eyes.

"Handsome." He says leaning close to my face. "You're handsome knight in shining armor." And he captures my lips with his warm soft ones.

"Would you two stop eating each other's faces?" I hear someone say. I'd know that voice anywhere.

I look to the bed. Maya was grogily sitting up on the bed. "MAYA!!" I run to hug her. "Thank God you're awake!!!" I squeeze her tight.

"Yeah yeah... Now would you please tell me what's going on? And why is my throat so dry?" She says her voice cracking.

"It's gonna be alright. Lucas get her that glass of water. I'm gonna find Doc Richards." I say running out of the room.

I run the hallway until I found a nurse. I told him that a comatose patient just woke up. I proceeded to tell him her doctor was Dr. Richards. He told me it'll only take a moment and that he'd go call him.

I run back to the room. I find that Maya's firing questions at Lucas and Lucas was trying to get her to calm down.

"Maya! Calm down!" I say hold in her down to the bed. I see she's taken off her nosepiece thingy that helped her breathe.

"Riley, what the hell is going on? Why am I here?"

"You were in a car crash." I tell her slowly. I see surprise flash across her face for a while and then she motions for me to go on. "You've been in a coma for two months."

"Two months?!?" She says incredulously.

"Yeah... Lucas, have you called Mom and Dad yet? " I say turning to him.

"Yeah, they're on their way with Uncle Shawn and Katy. I've just texted Farkle, too." He replies.

"Okay. Good." And now we wait.

*****
"Maya! My baby girl!" Katy says bursting through the room and hugging Maya so tight it probably hurt.

"I was so worried kiddo." Uncle Shawn follows suit not caring that Katy was still hugging Maya. I notice Angela by the door looking curiously at them. I once called her Aunt Angela once, she said. Riley, honey, don't call me Aunt. It makes me feel really old.

"I won't be alright if you two keep squeezing the life out of me." Maya says, though I know she loved it.

"Sorry." They say in unison. No one commented on that, but I could see mom and dad exchanging a look.

"Maya, honey, it's good to have you back." Mom and dad go to hug her.

"Thanks Mrs. Matthews, Mr. Matthews." They break from their hug when the door suddenly slammed open.

"MAYAAA!!" Farkle runs up to her and hugs her. Lucas cracked a smile when he did that. Farkle worried over Maya as much me, probably even more.

"Hey Farkle, how you doing?" Maya chuckles. "Did you lose weight?" She says noticing that Farkle's turtleneck was really lose at the arms and neck. His shirt was even baggier.

Farkle gave a nervous chuckle as a reply.

Then it was Uncle Josh's turn. He came up to her side and said, "Maya..."

I notice the look of confusion on her face when her eyes flashed to me. I furrowed my brows.

"Uhhh hi! Umm.. Sorry who are you again?" She says.

The happy chatter in the room stopped and everyone in the room fell dead silent.