25

Katrina Janai
-
"Y'all house is so nice. I'm gonna have to come over here more." Angel said as we sat in the living room and blew her hair out.

Even though I couldn't stand on my feet long to give her box braids I could still do something to her hair. She decided to do a nice press out so she could see how much her hair grew in the last year.

"Yup! You can come right over here with your uncle and watch baby Zuri while I get some sleep."

"Not you setting me up! I can't believe he's having another baby girl." She laughed.

"I know he can't either, but he's meant to be a girl dad. I just see how much he loves Namani and I know he's gonna fall in love with Zuri."

"I can't wait for her to get here so I can spoil her like the rest of my little cousins. I can't do kids and that's why I wanna love on everyone else's from a distance." She shrugged her shoulders.

"Plus I like girls so I don't know where my dad is getting grandkids from. That's if he wants any because he thinks he's so cool." She said making me laugh at her.

"Leave him alone. You're gonna be an adult soon and he wants to live best life once you go off to college."

"Yeah I know. He doesn't have to worry about being a grandad anytime soon because my focus is basketball." She said to me and I instantly remembered she was extremely good at basketball and played during the school year.

That's why she kept her braided.

"I know that's right. Your uncle was telling me about all scholarship offers you got and I'm so proud of you. I just know you're gonna be successful." I told her.

"Thanks Trina." She smiled. "How has business the new salon been going so far?" M

"It's been doing really good of course most of our old clientele still goes to the old shop but we're getting a lot of clients in the new shop by the day." I explained to her and she nodded her head.

"I wanted to go to the new shop but Jae told me you wouldn't be working there and I really only want you in my hair." She said making me laugh but I also understood.

"Yeah, I'm gonna let Jae be in charge of that salon and I'll check in of course to making sure everything's running the way it should. The first shop is my baby and I just can't leave it."

"Kiana is gonna be doing eyebrows though so you can always go and see her." I said making her look up at me.

"Oh really? I'll ask her about it the next time I'm in the area because I need a new brow person. The lady who does my eyebrows is moving to Texas."

"Texas?" I laughed.

"That's the same thing that I said like girl why are you going all the way out there."

After Angel left I ended up cleaning up around the house a little bit until I heard the doorbell ring letting me know that Zion was here.

"Hey Z." I rubbed his hair as he walked into house holding his backpack and a bag from Chick-fil-A.

"Hey mommy, daddy said he wants to talk to you." He said and I noticed Delon's car was still parked outside.

"Oh okay, go sit down and eat your food." I told him before grabbing my keys and walking outside.

"I'm not getting in your car." I said and he sighed before opening the door and getting out.

"I apologize." He said after we stood in silence for a little bit. I didn't have nothing to say to him and was ready to go into the house before he spoke again.

"The last year and a half I've been making shit difficult and after talking to my father to understand that it was on me. I wanna be able to take care of my son and have respect for his mother."

"And that's fine. That's all I ever wanted to happen and that's why I worked so hard to make sure Zion knew who you were." I said trying to put emotions to the side because this was about our son and not how I felt about him.

"I know and I appreciate that. My pops was telling me that I gotta treat you better because you're the mother of my child and if I want Zion to be good you gotta be good."

"I just wanted shit to be different."

"And it can be different just not the way you want it to be. We can be cordial because we have a son to raise that needs to stable parents. I've moved on and hopefully you can do the same and find someone that makes you happy." I said to him genuinely.

I knew that he's been through a lot of shit and although that didn't give him a reason to act the way he did it was clear to be that he was a product of the way that he grew up. We were both young and making stupid decisions but keeping my son was the best decision even if I had to care for him by myself for a while.

"Yeah, ima chill on messing with with any women for right now. I gotta figure some shit out for myself." He said and I nodded my head in understanding.

"That's cool, and if your good on the bullshit I'm good on it too. We can move on and raise Zion."

"Yeah that's cool. I know your boy isn't fucking with me right now but if he's gonna be in Zion's life I need to get to know him the right way." He said and it shocked me because I wasn't expecting him to be that big of a person.

This wasn't the childish Delon standing in front of me and it was a little weird but I could only hope it was who he's becoming.

"And that's all I want for y'all to be cordial. I'll let him know you said and I'm pretty sure he'll be down to meet the right way."

"That's what's up." He said and I started feeling a sharp pain before something popped and liquid started rushing down my legs, soaking my leggings.

"Did your water just break?"