Epilogue

Katina Janai | Six years later
-
"Mommy!" I heard Zuri call me from down the hallway as I came out the bathroom and dried my hands.

"Stop yelling, Zuri." I told her as I met her at the door so she wouldn't come into my room being loud.

"The baby is still sleeping?" She raised her eyebrows as she walked over to the crib, her beads clacking against each other as she peaked at her two year old little brother who was peacefully sleeping.

"Mmh, I just put him to go to sleep so we have to keep our voices down." I said and she nodded her head.

"What did you come in here for?"

"I wanted to go in the yard and play. Yesterday daddy said I could go but then he fell asleep." She narrowed her honey brown eyes making me laugh.

"He was tired baby. Let me get dressed then I'll come downstairs and make lunch while you play outside."

"Okay mommy." She said before skipping off down the hallway back to her room.

I quickly took that as an opportunity to chance change into a pair of leggings and a large T-shirt I found in the closet. I pulled my knotless braids into a high bun. I put on some Carmax before making my way down the stairs into the kitchen.

"Zuri, what do you want to eat?"

"Umm, can I have a grilled cheese?" She said and I nodded my head.

As I let her play outside I connected my Bluetooth speaker and let my R&B playlist play lowly as I made us grilled cheese and prepped dinner for tonight.

"Ma!" I heard Z yell before the front door slammed and Zyair started crying from the impact.

His tall frame came into the kitchen and placed his bag on the floor before kissing my cheek and giving me a hug. I loved how my son never became too cool to show how much he loved me, even when starting middle school.

"Zion, you just woke your brother up and I just put him to sleep." I whined as Zaire's cries came through the baby monitor.

"That's my bad ma, I'll get him." He ran over to the sink and washed his hands before making his way up the stairs two at a time.

He was up there for a little bit before he came back down the stairs holding a giggling Zaire airplane style. "He's awake now." Z said.

"He's such a little faker. He was screaming before you got here with his cry baby self." I mugged Zaire who was having the time of his life. He was no longer sleepy and fussy because he was now smiling and grabbing over his brothers face.

"Not too much on much little brother. Tell her to leave you alone Zai." He lifted Zaire up and held him closer to me as he reached out to grab my hair.

I tooted my lips at him and leaned over to kiss his cheek a couple times making him laugh loudly before Z placed him on the rug so he could crawl around the living room.

"How was school?"

"It's was good for the most part. I had basketball practice today that's why I got home a little later." He said and I nodded head remembering the email that his coach sent about fall practices.

"What's the part that wasn't good?" I asked him.

"Me and Jordan got into it but it's all good." He shrugged his shoulders but I could tell it was bothering him.

Jordan was his best friend of about three years and the two of them were inseparable. He was over my house so much I felt like I had three sons instead of two.

"You wanna talk about it?" I asked while running my hands over his messy curls that spilled all over his head.

"Nah, I'm okay ma." He shook his head and gave me
a small smile. "Where's Zuri?"

"She's playing in the backyard." I told him and he instantly stood up from his seat with a smirk on his letting me know he was gonna go bother her.

"You're a pain. You know that?"

"It's my job, I have to be." He said to me before he opened the screen door and made his way outside. Not even a minute went by and I already heard Zuri yelling at him.

"Z! Leave me alone! Go back to school!" I heard her yell at him as she grabbed her bubbles and walked away from him. Being the annoying big brother he was he chased after her and picked her up making her scream.

The alarm went off letting me know the front door was opened and it came J holding a couple of bags from the grocery store.

"What are they doing?" He pointed towards Zuri and Z who were hitting each other playfully

"You know they're crazy but I missed you." I leaned up to kiss his lips a couple times.

"I missed you too. Where's Zai?"

"He's over there crawling on the floor." I pointed towards the living making J set the bag of groceries down and walk over to him.

"What's up little man?" He picked him up with ease and started blowing kisses on his stomach.

The sound of Zai's cute giggles echo through the house as he kicked his feet happily. I smiled watching how much of a happy baby he was.

"How was he today?"

"He was pretty good until like an hour ago when he decided he wanted to shit everywhere and then scream the house down. Now he wants to be all happy when you guys get here." I poked his stomach and he tried to bite my finger.

"You don't even have enough teeth to bite bad ass." I said and J started laughing at me but I was serious.

"Where's your ring?" He asked me.

"I took it off to wash the dishes real quick." I said and he nodded his head before giving me another kiss.

A month after Zuri was born he asked me to marry him and almost a year later we got married. It's now been almost five years since we've been married and I couldn't be happier.

"I'm home family!" I heard Namani call out as the front door opened and closed. Zaire's head instantly turned towards the door and he began wiggling around trying to get down.

"I'm gonna give you to your sister, relax man." J mugged him before placing him on the ground so he could crawl over to her.

"Hi brother!" She cooed before picking him up and placing little kissing on his cheek. She then walked over to J giving him a hug and then gave me one as well.

"Where are my siblings?" She asked as she hoisted Zaire onto her hip moving her box braids out the way so he wouldn't chew on them.

"Outside acting like fools."

"Come on Zai let's see what they're doing." She said to him before the two of them went outside.

"Somethings wrong with all your kids." I turned to Josh who sucked his teeth at me.

"They're only my kids when they start bouncing off the walls and acting like fools?"

"Mmh, you know what it is." I kissed his lips.

-

The End.