27

Katrina Janai
-

"Awe, look at her."

"She's such a happy little baby." Kiana smiled as she held Zuri in her arms. After being home for a week both her and Jae came over the house see her for the first time.

I let them see her on FaceTime before I left the hospital and they let me know they would come see her once we got settled in.

"I know she's just smiling away. That's a happy ass baby." Jae said making me hit his arm.

"No swearing around the baby."

"Is she sleeping through the night?" Kiana asked me as she adjusted Zuri in his arms.

"The first couple of nights she woke up crying but for the most part she's been sleeping from nine to six which a pretty good schedule in my opinion."

"If she could sleep until eight that would be great but I know that's not realistic for a baby." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Yeah, sis be grateful she's not up all night and morning waking y'all up." Jae said to me as he took her from Kiana.

"She's smells so good. Babies always have that new baby smell to them for months." He said and I nodded my head in agreement.

"How are the kids doing with her?"

"Zion's trying to adjust to having a baby in the house but Namani is all over her. She didn't even want to got to her moms house because she didn't want to leave her sister." I told them.

"That's so cute but I knew Zion was gonna be like that. I remember when he was in the shop and I asked him if he was excited about having a sister and he was like Jae I don't have a choice cause that's gonna be my sister."

"No he didn't!" My jaw dropped as I looked over at him. Zion was definitely in love with Zuri as much as he acted nonchalant about her being home.

"Girl, yes he did." He nodded his head.

"How's baby daddy taking the news?" He asked me and I gave him a knowing look.

"He's been taking it really well. Y'all know my water broke when he was dropping Zion off?"

"It did?!" Kiana laughed.

"Yeah, he took me to the hospital but right before that we had a nice conversation and have been getting along since then."

"That's good! I'm glad y'all are getting along now."

-

"That's how you feed Zuri?" Namani pointed towards the breast pump I was holding as she sat on the bed with me and Zuri slept in her crib.

Both Joshua and Zion went to the hardware to store grab some stuff so he could build a shelf in Namani's closet for her shoes.

Namani didn't want to leave the house so she stayed with me and we watched movies while I pumped some milk.

"This is how I get the milk so she can drink it."

"That's so cool and it comes from your boob?" She said and I wanted to laugh so bad but I knew she was seriously asking.

"Mmh." I nodded my head.

"I can do that too?" She asked and at that point I had to let out a small laugh. Over the last two years she's become extremely comfortable with me and had no problem asking anything that came to her mind.

"Nope, you can only make milk after you have a baby and you won't be having any babies for a long time." I tapped her nose making her laugh.

"I know daddy told me I can't even look at boy but I don't know how he wants me to do that! There are some cute boys in my class and I don't like them but they're cute." She held her hands up and I widened my eyes at her.

"You have a crush on a little boy at your school?" I whispered to her and she giggled at me.

"Are you going to tell my dad? My mom said she wouldn't tell him if I told her the truth."

"No, we're having girl talk. Why would I tell him?" I raise my eyebrows at her and she shrugged her shoulders.

"Well in that case there's a boy named Elijah and he's really nice to me but there's also a boy Brandon who's cute."

"But Elijah is more cute. I don't wanna date him or anything. I just like that he's nice and my friend." She shrugged she shoulders and I nodded my head.

"Why do you like Elijah more?"

"Well, I don't really like Brandon because he was being mean to Elijah but Elijah did a really good job defending himself." She went on explaining to me and I nodded my head.

"He's mean like how?"

"He was telling Elijah to leave me alone because I didn't like him but he's wrong because I do like him." She shook her head in annoyance and I dropped my jaw at her.

"And then Elijah told him not to worry about me so he left me alone. Elijah wanted to fight him but I told him not to do that." She shrugged her shoulders.

"Mmh, that's good he stood up for himself. Your mom knows all of this right?" I asked since I was having this conversation with an eight year old that wasn't my own.

Even though I know Kenya wouldn't mind I didn't want Namani having these conversations with me first before with her own mother. As a mother and a woman I understood boundaries and that's why I got along with Kenya so well.

"Yup! She made me tell her everything when Elijah walked with me outside to her car." She nodded her head proudly.

"He walked you to the car?! And what did your mom say when she saw him?"

"She told me to stay away from stinky boys but he's not stinky Trina so she wasn't talking about him." She said making me laugh.

"What grade are you in again?"

"The third grade." She said nonchalantly as she played with the ends of her hair.

"And boys already have crushes on you?" I tooted my lips up at her as I removed the pump from under my large T-shirt.

"Yup! It's cause I'm cute Trina!"