Mask Boy

Hinata put down his bag and pulled out his books. Nanami had told him that studying in the forest always helped her focus better, so he decided to try it too. There were a few benches and tables in the forest, so he used that and began studying. A few minutes in, a boy walked past Hinata and sat down on a bench a few feet away from him with his back turned towards Hinata.

Once the brunet was done studying, he walked up to the boy. "Hey, do you know what time it is?"

The boy shook his head, looking down. "No, I'm sorry,"

"No worries." He turned around to leave, but noticed he forgot his bag so he turned back and saw the boy's face. "What the hell?!" He gasped.

The boy had no face. There was just nothing were his face should be. And he looked extremely pale.

"It's a mask," He said.

"Huh?"

His pinched his cheek and pulled on it. It stretched really far. "Oh..." Hinata chuckled. It was just thin white fabric. "Uh, why do you wear that?"

"Because my face is really ugly,"

"What? But how can you see?"

"The fabric is see-through. You don't have to worry about me,"

"Your face can't be that ugly,"

"I'm not gonna take it off," He said.

"I mean, that's fine. It's none of my business,"

The boy nodded. "Why were you here?"

"I was studying. You?"

"I live here," He said.

"Here? And how do you get to school? All schools are pretty far away,"

"I don't go to any public school,"

"Why not?"

"If I wear a mask, I'll get bullied and if I show my face, I'll get bullied,"

"So you just... stay here all day?"

"Mhm. I like it here. The animals are nice and it's peaceful,"

"Doesn't it get lonely?"

He nodded. "It does. I don't have any human friends. I wish people came here more often... Can you stay for a while? You can eat dinner at my house,"

"Food actually sounds pretty good right now. Sure, let's go,"

They went to his house. It was made of stones and had ivy growing all over it, making it fit in well with the forest.

They entered it and the boy called out to his parents.

"I brought someone with me,"

"Who?" His mother asked, walking towards them.

"This guy. I met him outside,"

"What's your name?" She asked. His mother looked friendly. She was a bit short and wore a white dress and a pink apron.

"Hinata Hajime. Nice to meet you,"

"I didn't even introduce myself, sorry. My name is Komaeda Nagito,"

From that day on, their friendship began. Komaeda never took off his mask. He was very insecure. About his looks, but everything else too. He constantly called himself trash and seemed to hate everything about himself. He often made food when Hinata visited him. When they ate, he would pull up his mask to reveal his mouth, but he always held his hand in front of it so Hinata wouldn't see.

Hinata didn't like that though. Komaeda could cover his face if he wanted, but he shouldn't hate himself.

"Here, I made this for you." Komaeda handed him a bento box. "I don't go to school, but I've always wanted to make a cute lunch like this,"