Clothes make people

This was inspired by the book "clothes make people" by Gottfried Keller. It doesn't have the exact same story, but if you've read the book, I'm sure you would recognize which parts I re-used. This takes place in the 1870s, but let's just pretend homophobia didn't exist back then because I didn't feel like writing homophobia.

A poor Taylor was walking through the snow. He was cold as ice and hungry as a bear. Being fired wasn't what he needed at all, but it had happened. And now he had nothing to eat, drink or wear and he hadn't even thought about where he would spend the night. If it stayed as cold as it was now, it would surely be the end of his sad life.

Sewing a penguin suit in the wrong size was a horrible accident and now he would die due to the consequences it seemed. It wasn't his fault though, was it? His boss had spilled coffee all over the paper he had written his clients measurements on and then claimed to remember them. In the end, Hinata ended up using the wrong measurements his boss had given him and that was what brought him here. A shame, really. Such a talented Taylor and it was already the end of his story.

He was now wearing the suit. At least he was lucky enough that it fit him perfectly. It was the most noble thing he owned. In order to not freeze to death already, he had stolen his boss' beautiful coat. If this wasn't the worst day of his life, he might have been proud of how fancy he looked.

A carriage stopped beside him. He looked at the driver.

"Good day, sir,"

Hinata nodded. "Good day." He kept walking.

"May I ask, what is a count such as you doing, walking around in the cold?"

"A count?" He raised an eyebrow. "I'm nothing but a poor Taylor,"

"Ahaha! Humble too, I see. Please, get in. I can't watch a man like you suffer this way,"

"Sir," Hinata began. "I am not a count,"

The man stopped the carriage and got off. He opened the door. "Please, sir, get in,"

Hinata sighed. It was cold and his feet hurt so much. It wouldn't hurt if he just... agreed, right? This man clearly wasnt going to stop being stubborn. And so, without another word, he got inside. He dozed off and woke up to the sound of people talking. A look out the window explained what was going on. People were staring at the carriage, at him.

It stopped moving and Hinata nervously got out. People were surrounding him. Kids were staring with wide, excited eyes.

"Mother, is he really a count? In this city?" A boy asked.

"I knew the day would come when a noble man would visit our small town." A woman smiled.

"I-I'm not a count!" Hinata exclaimed.

"Ah, humble men are so rare these days!" An elderly lady praised him.

"He truly does look like a good man," Her husband agreed.

"Sir, may I lead you to our best resteraunt?" Before Hinata could reply, a man grabbed his arm and brought him to a big building. He opened the door and pushed Hinata inside.

The guests stared at him. "U-uh..." Hinata muttered. "Good day..?" He nervously chuckled.

"Oh my!" A waiter gasped and ran into the kitchen. "Hanamura-san! A count has arrived! Please, make him a fine meal instantly!"

The chef began working passionately. Hinata sat down at a table. There was nothing wrong with warming up a bit, was there? Yeah. There wasn't.

Eventually, a waitress placed a meal on his table. "I, uh, didn't order anything,"