Crying

This was a request.

Lately, Komaeda constantly felt like he was on the verge of tears.

He didn't know why. Whenever anything even slightly bad happened, he began to tear up and he had no idea why. He hated crying.

People who went through a lot often get told how strong they are. But Komaeda didn't. He didn't feel strong either. He felt weak. He felt physically weak from having had cancer and mentally weak for always thinking back to his past and questioning if it was his fault over and over and over again.

But Hinata wasn't like that. He was amazing, he was strong, he was smart, he was manly. Really manly. He had a stern face and wore ties and held open doors for people and was ready to protect the ones he cared about.

Komaeda wished he wasn't so emotional at the moment...

Currently, he was sitting on his bed, reading. The couple in the book kissed and he felt himself tear up again.

"I want a boyfriend too! But no one loves me..."

Hinata entered his room. They were roommates and had been living together for a while now. "Your laundry is done,"

"Y-yes... thank you..." his voice cracked as he said that.

"Are you alright?"

"Mhm,"

-

That evening, Komaeda sat on the couch, wrapped in a blanket. He felt so sad and weak and pathetic and needed to watch a movie to distract himself. Hinata walked into the room, wearing sweatpants.

"Hinata-kun!" Komaeda said, blushing. "How many times do I have to tell you to put on a shirt??" He scolded.

"I live here, I'm allowed to be comfortable,"

"But it's embarrassing!"

"We're both guys, it's fine,"

"No!! It's embarrassing!"

"Then just imagine me wearing a shirt. It's hot as hell in here,"

Komaeda shook his head. "No. It's cold,"

Hinata grabbed and apple and sat down next to him.

"What are you watching?"

"High School Musical,"

Hinata nodded. "Cool. Who's your favorite character?"

"Troy. I think he's so cool. He kinda reminds me of someone,"

"I like Gabriella. She's sweet,"

Komaeda smiled.

"Anyway, you've been seeming kinda sad lately. Is something wrong?"

He shook his head. "No, I'm fine,"

"...Alright. But if you ever need to talk about something, I'm here for you,"

"Mhm..."

-

The next day at school, Komaeda felt like he could cry again. He wasn't okay at all. He wanted to be held and comforted and protected, but he didn't deserve it. He wished he was as manly and strong as Hinata, but he wasn't.

He suppressed his tears in class and as soon as the bell rang, signaling that lunch began, he hurried into the bathroom and hid inside a stall. Tears began streaming down his face. Everyone always had friends and parents and grandparents and cousins and aunts and uncles and Komaeda had no one. He couldn't help but cry at the thought of dying alone and being forgotten. It wasn't like he was sick and dying, but these kind of thoughts just wouldn't get out of his head.

He aggressively whiped his tears and left the restroom again. He got out his bento box. Cooking was pretty much the only thing that cheered him up at the moment, so he always brought really extravagant bento boxes to school. He made lunch for Hinata too.

Then, someone bumped into him. He fell over and the box landed on the floor. The lid broke into two pieces and all the food was scattered around.

Komaeda's eyes widened. "No!"

"Shit, sorry!" It was Souda. Hinata was standing next to him and hurried to help Komaeda up.

Immediately, he felt like he could cry again. "Th-that... that was my favorite..." He began to tear up.

"I can buy you a new one,"

"No... it's not the same,"

"Then I'll fix it!"

"A-alright..." Komaeda gave him the broken box. "It's just... dad gave that to me. It's very important. It's one of the few things he was able to give to me,"

"Do you have a single mom?" Hinata asked. "Did you parents break up?"

"No, they're dead,"

"Shit... then who do you live with?" Souda asked him.

"Hinata-kun,"

"No, I mean like at home. When you're not in your dorm,"

"No one,"

"Huh?!" He shrieked. "You live all on your own?! How old were you when it happened?!"

"I think... seven,"

"And how..?"

Komaeda shook his head. "..."

"Yeah, uh... sorry. I'll fix the box for sure, okay? It'll look just like it did before, I promise." Souda then left.

Komaeda sighed. "I don't want to cry,"

"Huh?"

"I think I'm gonna cry. I-I don't want to... not again,"

"When did you cry?"

"In the bathroom..."

"Why?"

"Because I..." He fiddled with his sleeves. "I feel helpless,"

Hinata let out a sigh. It would have been nice if Komaeda gave longer answers. He had no idea what the pale boy was talking about. "Why do you feel like that?"

"Because I'm weak. And you're so strong and manly. I-I don't like crying, but I always cry. A-and I miss my parents and I just want someone to p-protect me," His voice was shaky. You could hear he was close to crying.

Hinata pulled him into a hug. "I can protect you. If you want,"

"I-I do want that... You're really manly, you know? A-and strong..."

"There's nothing wrong with crying, Komaeda. You're not weak because you cry,"