The Love of A Mother Like You Is Poison

Abrelle's POV 

In order to not draw suspicion I sit in my office staring at the computer screen and pretending to type. I'm just writing random words on a sticky note as I think about what just happened. 

I'm entirely unnerved, do they have microphones in here or a camera? 

I try not to think about the idea of them having a camera in here. What if they saw the autopsy report? I best not leave it here in the office. 

"Abrelle," the door is thrown open and I jump letting out a small scream. 

"Stone," I hiss, my hands on my chest feeling my completely erratic heartbeat. 

"Did you fire them?" he asks closing the door behind him. "Please, tell me you didn't show them the"

"I fired them," I cut him off grabbing my purse, and the documents, and standing up. He just gave me the best way out of this damn office without drawing suspicions. "Now, before you give me a damn lecture about the Fight for Hunger campaign, I'm not changing my mind."

What the hell am I talking about?

Elliot looks at me completely confused, but I don't give him chance to speak. 

"I don't want to waste my time having another meeting," I say, rolling my eyes for dramatic effect. "So can we just talk about it on my way out?"

"I...um," he says, scratching the back of his head. He's totally confused and I don't blame him, nothing I'm saying makes sense. 

"Let's just sit," Elliot says and he's looking at me like I've lost my mind. 

Think Abrelle, think. 

Mhm, okay I know exactly what to say. 

"I'm in a hurry," I shake my head. "I'm working on this case for Noah and I need to meet with this client who keeps throwing crazy conspiracies at me. So I need to get out of here." 

For a second I think Elliot isn't going to understand what I'm saying, but then he nods. 

"Right," he says. "I get it. We can talk about the campaign later."

"Thank you," I nod and open the door. He walks out and I follow him closing the door behind me. I try my best not to look paranoid as I walk through the halls of my company, but I can't help feeling watched. 

As soon as we make it out of the building I feel like I can breathe again. God, that was suffocating. 

"What the hell was that?" Elliot whispers as we make our way toward Jax, who is casually parked in front of the building. 

"They can hear everything that happens in my office," I whisper back, smiling at Jax as he opens the car door for me. 

"We're not going anywhere, Jax. Just give us a few minutes," I say before I climb inside the car, happy to be out of their view, whoever they are. 

Elliot opens the other passenger door and climbs in sitting directly next to me. 

"Wait, who can hear you?" he asks as he closes the car door. 

"I don't know," I say pulling out Elizabeth's note and handing it to Elliot. "I was talking to Elizabeth and she gave me this in the middle of our conversation." 

"Is she being serious?" he asks looking concerned and I nod. 

"She was acting strange and then said she was writing down my important meetings," I explain. "Because they were urgent and then handed me this note."