Dipolog Invasion (Travelogue)

Creative Non-fiction

"Dipolog Invasion"

Sorrounded by hills to the south and the Pacific Ocen in the north, Dipolog City is now one of major options of local and foriegn investors as well as tourist spot in Western Mindanao. Dipolog City is also known as "The Bottled Sardines Capital of the Philippines" which stem from the rich fishing area along of it's shores. I recognize that it is a blessing to visit this place beacuse of it's natural scenery and delicious food. Indeed, exploring the city of Dipolog, which also happens to be one of the foundations of our history, is a dream come true.

Last July, when the covid-19 protocol was lifted, my long-planned invasion trip has finally happened; where my ultimate goal is to visit the entire Halls of the Philippines, whether it is Municipality or City, and take the pictures infornt of the Hall as an evidence of this challenge. It sound like a crazy idea but I already visited most of the cities and municipalies in Negros Island. And to start a new one, I've decide to venture in the northwestern part of Mindanao.

Around 4:30 am, we took a coffee before leaving home and then a pedicab straight to the seaport. Before entering Dipolog City, you need to present your vaccination card and valid ID in both Dumaguete and Dipolog seaport as part of the COVID-19 protocol of the government. From the Dumaguete seaport, you need to board a fastcraft then either "habal-habal" or a van for hire will take you to Dipolg from its seaport. As a general rule in traveling, beware of the bilker especially at the seaport.

After 3 to 4 hours of travel, a scenic view of sunrise will welcome you at the Dipolog seaport, this view alone imprints a good start in your travel. From the sea port, we took habal-habal to reach the downtown area of Dipolog. Before taking pictures in front of their City Hall, we first took our breakfast at UrChoice Bistro Cafe just right across Dipolog Boulevard. And of course, the engrossing view of Dipolog Boulevard cannot be resisted so we took pictures that melts all the tiredness from our travel.

"Go straight to the invasion", this is what this trip is all about; taking pictures in front of Dipolog's City Hall as part of my invasion in Zamboanga Peninsula. The first thing that you would recognize in their City Hall is the structure itself, where it would bring you back a nostalgic era of London but in the modern-day. This is probably the one of many Halls that I've been that has intricate details in terms of structure and design. The tiredness of the travel as well as the expenses is nothing compare seeing a masterpiece structure like Dipolog City Hall

I am often asked why would I choose a city or municipality to take a picture with and not the tourist destination of a certain place whenever I travel. It is because, for me, the city and municipalitys' halls, reflect the entire image of the whole place. It is in the Municipality Halls that most government transactions will take place. It is where the people will get their cedula and where ordinary citizens will pay their taxes. It is also in the Municipality where the officials that the people have voted for sits, and the place where people have to get their salary from. This is what I meant when I said that the City or Municipality halls reflect the progress of the place as a hall. The progress may vary according to how these halls are being run.