My Family Tree

Hi, my name is Marjhon Mascardo, currently residing in Siaton, Negros Oriental, with my permanent address in Dumaguete, Negros Oriental. I am the eldest and only boy among my four siblings. My father's name is Albino Mascardo, and my mother's name is Marites Maniego Mascardo. I am happily married to my beautiful wife, Jonalyn Candido Mascardo, and we have two lovely children: Yishmaiah and Ithran Mascardo. I was born in General Santos City, completed my elementary education at Felipe Carreon Elementary Memorial School in Bañadero, Ozamiz City, and my secondary education at Negros Oriental High School. I really love music: I write songs, compose music, and play in a band. In fact, one of the sources of income I had when I got married was teaching basic guitar lessons, basic drums, keyboards, bass, and percussion. Since I'm now in college, my goal is to finish my studies and fortunately help my family. However, my ultimate goal in life is to share Jesus with everybody: spread the love of the Lord and share the reason behind His death on the cross.

My Family:

•My family comes from different places and cultures, making our background diverse and unique. We have stories of overcoming challenges and celebrating successes together. Each member brings their own unique experiences, adding to our family's story of flexibility and connection to our next generation.

•My father was born on March 8, 1970  and raised in the Seventh-day Adventist tradition, is a dedicated colporteur, and a talented singer within the Seventh-day Adventist community. They met my mom in Tupi, Sarangani Province, when she was attending Mindanao State University. His commitment to his faith and his passion for music has greatly influenced our family's values and traditions. Growing up, his experiences as a colporteur, spreading religious literature and sharing his faith, instilled in him a strong sense of service and community. His gift for music has not only enriched our family gatherings but has also allowed him to connect with others on a deeper level through songs of faith and inspiration.

• My mother was born in Surigao Del Sur and was a devoted Roman Catholic before meeting my father. She is the child of maidenhood of my grandmother. Upon marrying my father and converting to Seventh-day Adventism, she became actively involved in women's organizations within the Seventh-day Adventist community in their district, exemplifying dedication and adaptability in our family's spiritual journey.

• In 1997, my parents separated due to my father's affair with another woman, which led to our relocation from Polomolok, South Cotabato, to Ozamiz City, seeking a new beginning. Despite this fresh start, my father persisted in his relationship with his mistress, causing further turmoil within our family. When my mother took legal action for adultery, both my father and his mistress faced imprisonment. However, through negotiations, they eventually agreed upon a custody arrangement for my siblings, allowing my father to regain his freedom. Upon their agreement, my sister and I were placed in my father's custody along with his mistress and relocated to Dumaguete City. Meanwhile, the rest of my siblings were under my mother’s care and moved to Surigao Del Sur from Ozamiz City. During our time in Dumaguete City, I pursued my high school education while my mother, back in Mindanao, bravely ventured to Lebanon as a domestic helper, sacrificing her presence to provide for my siblings. As time passed, my father contemplated a move to Palawan, but my heart remained anchored in Dumaguete. Determined to stand by my roots, I steadfastly venture as a working student in order to finish my fourth year high school. I wasn't able to proceed to college right away because I got lower grades in high school due to "barkadas" and cutting classes, despite being a working student. Besides having lower grades, I was also financially challenged since NORSU didn't have free tuition fees at that time. I ended up working at an establishment as a construction worker.

•Meanwhile, my mother's desire was to gather all her children back together while she was still in Lebanon. This led to us bringing back all my siblings to Dumaguete. However, it wasn't easy, and it wasn't a Cinderella story with a happily ever after ending. After assembling my siblings in Dumaguete, the real struggles began, something we never predicted would happen. The financial support my mother sent to us wasn't enough, especially since one of my siblings had a baby and was living with a partner who had no job. During those times, we were too young and most of my younger siblings were still studying without parents to guide us. We lived in the most crowded and unimaginable place in Dumaguete, renting a house where most people survived by selling drugs, gambling, and engaging in vices. The environment surrounding us was detrimental to my siblings and our future. I have a memory of a Sunday morning while we were still in Canday-ong when we had no food to eat. My younger sister (next to me) took food from my neighbor's kitchen and ran away, hiding in our room. It was at that moment that I also entered the room and saw that ugly event. I looked up and prayed to the Lord, seeking His guidance for our family. Ten years later, after overcoming those struggles, I am now married, and my siblings have finished their studies. One of them is completing a degree in Bachelor in Secondary Education majoring in English, while the other graduated as a Nursing Assistant at NORSU main campus and is currently pursuing AB Philosophy in Cebu City. Our youngest sister is now working at the Freeman as a reporter and journalist, while the other is working in a home-based company and currently living in Bacolod City.