Cybersecurity and Privacy

Certainly! Let me explain the different types of software and programs you mentioned:

1. Hardware:
Hardware refers to the physical components of a computer or electronic device. It includes the tangible parts that you can touch and see, such as the computer's central processing unit (CPU), memory (RAM), storage devices (hard drives, solid-state drives), input devices (keyboard, mouse), output devices (monitor, printer), and other peripheral components.

2. Software:
Software, on the other hand, is the intangible part of a computer system. It consists of programs, applications, and instructions that tell the hardware what to do. Software can be divided into two main categories:
- System software: This includes the operating system (e.g., Windows, macOS, Linux) and other programs that manage the computer's resources and provide a platform for running other software.
- Application software: This refers to programs designed to perform specific tasks, such as word processing, spreadsheet analysis, video editing, or web browsing.

3. Spyware:
Spyware is a type of malicious software (malware) that is designed to secretly monitor and collect information about a user's activities, browsing habits, and personal data without their knowledge or consent. Spyware can be used to track user behavior, steal sensitive information, or display unwanted advertisements.

4. Malware:
Malware is a general term that refers to any software designed to cause harm or damage to a computer system, network, or user. Malware includes viruses, worms, Trojans, ransomware, and other types of harmful programs. Malware can be used to steal data, disrupt system operations, or gain unauthorized access to a computer or network.

5. Adware:
Adware is a type of software that displays advertisements, often in the form of pop-ups, banners, or embedded within other applications. Adware is not necessarily malicious, but it can be intrusive and annoying to users. Some adware may also collect user data and share it with advertisers without the user's knowledge or consent, which can be considered a privacy concern.

In summary, hardware refers to the physical components of a computer or electronic device, while software is the intangible programs and instructions that run on the hardware. Spyware, malware, and adware are different types of software that can have negative impacts on a user's computer or privacy, either by collecting data, causing damage, or displaying unwanted advertisements.

Let me begin this report by reading to you the news by GMA regarding the data breach (breech).

Incidents of data breaches in the Philippines reached roughly 0.14 million during the fourth quarter of 2023, indicating an increase from the previous quarter. The number of data breaches peaked in the second quarter of 2020 at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.

It is important to note that in cyberworld there is a term "data breach (breech), cybersecurity breach" — The loss of control, compromise, unauthorized disclosure, unauthorized acquisition, or any similar occurrence where: a person other than an authorized user accesses or potentially accesses personally identifiable information; or an authorized user accesses personally identifiable information for another than authorized ..

How is it important to have cybersecurity in our privacy?

Imagine storing your money in one of the online financial institutions, thinking that you safely secure your one hundred million in the bank. But what if, one early morning, that you found out that all your money was gone and eventually, it was being transferred to another account?

In 2014,  happened the biggest hacking crimes ever made. It was a group of people called "Carbanak" who successfully managed to transfer and withdraw a lot of money from a bank. It was being estimated around one million USD that they stole.

In the Philippines, a legendary hacker named "Onel De Guzman" who created a legendary virus called "I love you virus" in 2000. According to the report, the affected government agency around the globe was spend estimated around one billion USD just to resolve the said virus including US.

Cybersecurity is the practice of protecting systems, networks, and programs from digital attacks and unauthorized access. It involves a range of measures and techniques to safeguard electronic information, devices, and infrastructure from potential threats, such as:

1. Protecting against unauthorized access: Cybersecurity measures aim to prevent hackers, cybercriminals, and other malicious actors from gaining unauthorized access to computer systems, networks, and sensitive data.

2. Preventing data breaches: Cybersecurity strategies are designed to protect against the theft, loss, or compromise of sensitive information, such as personal data, financial records, and intellectual property.

3. Defending against malware: Cybersecurity measures include the use of antivirus software, firewalls, and other tools to detect, prevent, and mitigate the impact of malicious software, such as viruses, worms, and ransomware.

4. Ensuring system and network integrity: Cybersecurity practices help maintain the reliability, availability, and proper functioning of computer systems, networks, and connected devices, preventing disruptions or unauthorized modifications.

5. Compliance and risk management: Cybersecurity frameworks and regulations help organizations comply with industry standards and legal requirements, as well as manage the risks associated with digital threats.

Effective cybersecurity requires a multifaceted approach, including the implementation of technical controls, the development of security policies and procedures, employee training and awareness, and the adoption of best practices in areas such as access management, incident response, and disaster recovery.

Cybersecurity is the protection of digital systems and information from unauthorized access, damage, or theft.

Privacy in the cyberworld refers to an individual's right to control and protect their personal information and data when using digital technologies, services, and platforms.

In the context of cybersecurity, privacy encompasses:

1. Protecting personal information: Ensuring that sensitive data, such as names, contact details, financial information, and online activities, are not accessed, collected, or used without the individual's knowledge and consent.

2. Controlling data sharing: Allowing individuals to decide what information they want to share, with whom, and for what purpose, both on personal and professional platforms.

3. Maintaining confidentiality: Ensuring that personal communications, online transactions, and digital interactions remain confidential and are not intercepted or monitored by unauthorized parties.

4. Respecting anonymity: Enabling individuals to engage in online activities without having their identity or personal details revealed, if they so choose.

5. Securing digital footprints: Minimizing the trail of personal information that individuals leave behind when using digital technologies, such as browsing history, location data, and device identifiers.

Effective cybersecurity measures, such as encryption, access controls, and data protection policies, play a crucial role in safeguarding individual privacy in the digital realm. Maintaining privacy is essential for building trust, protecting personal autonomy, and ensuring the responsible use of technology.

Privacy in the cyberworld is the ability to control and protect one's personal information and digital activities from unauthorized access or misuse.