The 19th Century Philippines As Rizal's Context

OVERVIEW

Periods of history has its own story to tell. Thus important events happen that changes the process and the heroes known today are result of people’s reaction to the condition of the society that they are into. This module will help you understand the status of Philippines during the 19th century, explain how Filipinos lived during this period and more importantly you will learn how it affected the ideals and principles of Rizal.

ACTIVATION

PAST IS PAST ???
Reminisce a part of your past where you think you have learned something and which is still beneficial to your present life.

How do you think this experience in the past mold you into someone you are now?

Do this activity within 5 minutes and send your answer via voice clip on messenger gc.

LEARNING OUTCOMES

At the end of this module you are expected to:

Analyze the Social Structure, the Political landscape, Economic Context, Educational systems and Rizal’s life in his Society.

Value the importance of knowing how the Philippine’s Social Structure, Political Landscape, Economic Context, and Educational System impact on Rizal’s ideals and Principles.

Make a Venn Diagram about the Similarities and Contrast of the government during Spanish period with the present government

Write a reaction paper about the Philippines during the 19th Century.

LEARNING EXPERIENCES AND SELF-ASSESSMENT ACTIVITIES (SAA)

INTRODUCTION

The 19th century was a dynamic and creative age especially in the Europe and United States. During this period, such concepts as industrialism, democracy, and nationalism triggered revolutionary changes in science, technology, economics, and politics. These changes enabled men to achieve the heights of prosperity and dignity.

Although 19th century Philippines was largely medieval, signs of progress or change were noted in certain sectors. Its socialand economic structure was based on the old feudalistic patterns of abuse and exploitation of the Indios, Racial discriminatory practices were oppressive. Intellectual decadence prevailed and government process did not respect the needs of the people.

SOCIAL STRUCTURE

Philippine society was predominantly feudalistic. The result of the Spanish land holding system imposed upon country with the arrival of the conquistadores. Elite class exploited the masses, fostered by the “master-slave” relationship between the Spaniards and Filipinos. The Spaniards exacted all forms of taxes and tributes and drafted the natives for manual labour.

Consequently, the poor became poorer and the rich, richer. The pyramidal structure of the 19th century Philippine society favoured the Spaniards. Its apex was occupied by the Spanish officials, Peninsulares (a Spaniard born in Spain) and the friars

The middle Class was consisted of the following:

Insulares - Full blood Spaniards born in the Philippines.

Creoles – They are the Mix blood or Combination of Spaniards and Filipino

Mestizos – they are mixed indigenous Filipinos. Mestizos are also called in different types:

1. Mestizo de Sangley – person of mixed Chinese and Filipino ancestry

2. Mestizo de Español - person of mixed Spanish and Filipino ancestry