Chapter 39

"I'm going back to work at the bakery." Harry stated one evening in the middle of December as they sat in the living room after the girls were in bed.

"What?" Louis questioned, looking up from where he had his laptop in front of him, reviewing the money being brought in by his signed artists.

"Yeah. I talked to mum the other day and she said I could come back so I decided I wanted to start working again. I already talked to your mum too, she said she'd love to watch Skylar during the day for us." Harry responded.

"You know you don't have to go back to work right? Like we're not lacking money or anything." Louis commented, confused as to why Harry would want to go back to work when he was raking in millions of dollars.

"I know that, but it gets really boring just lounging around the house all the time. I can shop on my days off and I can still cook dinner every night." Harry answered as Oliver came over and jumped up into his lap and settled down, looking up at Harry with innocent eyes, waiting to have his ears rubbed.

He purrs like a motor boat when Harry begins rubbing his ears, tipping his little head into Harry's hand.

"Okay, well if you're sure that's what you want to do." Louis smiled, reaching out to tug at one of Harry's curls.

"I'm sure. I know your mum will like spending more time with Skylar." Harry commented watching as Sugar came walking into the living room. "Lou, she wants out."

Louis looked up from his laptop and watched as the dog walked directly past them and over to the French doors leading outside. She sat down in front of the doors and then looked back at them expectantly.

"At least she doesn't scratch at the frame." Louis said as he got up to let her out.

"True." Harry responded then looking over in the direction of the hallway to the stairs. "She should be down any minute now wanting water or milk."

Sure enough ten minutes later they heard the soft pad of feet coming down the stairs and a moment later Scarlet appeared. She blinked at them, still half asleep, and then continued on to the kitchen. A few minutes later she comes walking back through with a glass of milk in her hand, casts them another sleepy look, and then disappears back up to her room.

"Every single night without fail." Louis chuckled, setting his laptop aside in favour of curling his arms around his lean husband and petting the cat on the head.

"Doesn't even care if the milk is warm or cold." Harry said, leaning back against Louis.

Louis laughed quietly and turned his head so that he could kiss Harry's jaw. He plants a few kisses just under his ear and then gently bites at his earlobe before going back to kissing his jaw. Harry smiled and leaned into the touch of Louis' lips. The warmth and softness of them never fails to make him smile, he loves the feeling Louis' lips give him, it's like he's floating.

After a while there's a bark at the doors, a signal that Sugar is finished doing her business and is ready to come back in. Louis heaved himself up and walked over to the door.

"Shake." Louis ordered, blocking Sugar from running inside with snow on her.

Sugar shook and Louis stepped aside. The first thing she does is go lay down near the electric fireplace that puts off a surprising amount of heat.

This is their nightly routine. Sugar goes out, Scarlet comes down, she gets a drink, goes back to bed, Sugar comes in, she dries off, then she goes back upstairs to join Scarlet. Meanwhile, Harry and Louis go upstairs and crawl into bed. Louis is always the big spoon even though Harry is a little bit taller, but neither of them really care. Harry gets the best sleep when Louis is curled around him, he feels protected. And of course Louis just loves having Harry in his arms. He loves being able to nuzzle into his curls or into his neck. He loves being able to kiss Harry's bare shoulder and he loves draping an arm over Harry so his hand can rest on his stomach.