5| Concerto (Or, a piece for an instrument accompanied by an orchestra)

Asuka always thought a perk of her profession was the number of fancy dresses she got to wear. For tonight's performance, Asuka slipped on a long, deep red strapless dress with a slit up the side. To accentuate her neck, Asuka wore a high-set necklace with a single ruby near the hollow of her throat.

Kurama stood over Asuka and knotted his tie while she applied makeup. His black suit contrasted with his ruby hair and made his features dazzle. Asuka observed him for a moment. When he noticed her stare, he leaned down and whispered, "You're so beautiful."

"Thank you! Do you like my dress?"

"I always like what you wear...and when you wear nothing."

Asuka playfully rolled her eyes.

"It's true."

"I know," she laughed.

Kurama adjusted his tie and then put on his cuff links.

They were utilizing one of Orchard Hall's dressing rooms, located just off the main backstage area. Principals and guests always had access to the dressing rooms, which Asuka liked. Getting ready at the hall meant her appearance would look fresher on stage.

"I have to be here so early," Asuka said as she applied mascara. "You didn't have to come with me."

"I'd much rather come with you," said Kurama. "Will you need to stay for the entire performance tonight?"

"Originally I had wanted to because Akira was going to be here and I wanted to say hello. He got sick though." Asuka looked down at her lipstick choices. She decided on a deep red to match her dress, and pulled off the cap."

"That's unfortunate," Kurama said.

"Yeah. At least Kenji didn't catch it. Anyway, since he won't be here, I can meet you out front after intermission is over."

Kurama kissed her bare shoulder. "I was thinking—since we're all dressed up, would you like to get drinks at one of the cocktail lounges before we go home?"

"I'd love that."

"It's a date, then."

Asuka stood and turned around so she could see all of herself in the mirror. Then she looked at the side of her body that would face the audience.

"You look sexy in red," Kurama said quietly.

She smiled. "It's not a color I normally wear, but I was feeling it tonight. This color reminded me of your hair."

"Mmmm." A flash of lust went through Kurama's eyes as his gaze roamed.

"I should've kissed you before I put lipstick on," Asuka said.

The corner of Kurama's mouth pulled upward. He gently reached for her hand and then brought it to his lips for a kiss. "Until later."

"Until later."

He squeezed her hand. "I know you like to have quiet before you play big concerts. I'll leave you now."

"Thank you."

"I love you."

"And I love you."

Kurama left Asuka in the dressing room and quietly shut the door behind him. Asuka sat back at the dressing room table and lightly drummed her fingers on its white shiny surface as if it were the keys on a piano.

-* ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ *-

The concert producer knocked on her door sometime later and let her know it was time to start. In the classical music world, it was customary for the guest musician to come out last. Asuka waited just out of view and watched the orchestra get seated. After them, the director came out and bowed to the audience. When they quieted, Mr. Senju signaled to Asuka and she walked out to enthusiastic applause. All eyes were on her as she made her way across the stage. First, Asuka stopped to shake Kenji's hand, and then she stopped again to shake the principal violinist's hand, as was customary.