31| Cadence (Or, a melodic configuration that creates a sense of resolution)

Kurama strode up to his mother's house, thankful his stepfather was out working for the day. He knew he should've had this conversation a long time ago, but he always had an excuse at the ready for why he should not.

He and Asuka had been gone a long time without explanation, and that would have consequences. He wasn't sure what would happen with his job, either. His position would've been filled, but if he was lucky, he could go back to consulting. If not...he could get a different type of business job.

One thing at a time.

Kurama brought his knuckles to the door and hesitated. What would his mother say? Would she be angry? Would she accept him as he was? Or would she be heartbroken that her unborn child had been infested with...a demon.

He hesitated again.

No matter what, he had to tell her. The only words that fit between them now were words of truth. He had to tell her the truth. It's what she deserved.

He knocked.

The door opened.

"Hello, Mother."

Shiori gasped and pulled Kurama to herself. He wrapped his arms around his mother and hugged her tight against his chest.

"My son," she cried. "I've missed you so much. Where have you been? I've been so worried about you and Asuka. Why didn't you call?"

"I'm so sorry." He planted a kiss in her hair. "I'm so sorry I made you worry."

Shiori let go and wiped her eye. "Come in. Let's have some tea."

Kurama followed her inside and shut the door.

"Sit in the living room," she said, wiping her eyes again. "I'll be right there."

"If you're sure. I don't mind helping."

"I know you don't. Go ahead, Shuichi. Sit."

Kurama went into the living room and sat in his favorite chair. The other furniture had changed, but his mother always kept his chair in the same spot. He smiled softly as the cushion sank more than it had in the past. He scooted backward, crossed one leg, and tapped the chair lightly with his index finger.

A few minutes later, his mother came in with tea. She set his cup on the wooden table next to him and sat adjacent. She looked at him expectedly, which made him even more nervous.

Kurama wrung his hands. "Mother...I—"

"I always knew you were special."

He stopped. "Don't all mothers believe their sons to be special?"

"They do, but I knew. You can't have eyes like yours and be normal."

"Because they're green?" He had to make sure she meant what he thought.

"Because they're old. I knew when you were a small child that you were special."

Kurama exhaled and smiled to himself. She'd always been like this—keenly aware of his moods and feelings, but always respecting his privacy. He leaned forward and clasped his hands. "I'm sorry I never told you. I almost did...once." He stopped. "Twice. But...such matters are normally kept a secret, for the good of everyone. Still...I apologize for keeping you in the dark, and for leaving abruptly. It was an emergency."

His mother nodded. "Tell me, son. Whatever you say, I'll believe you."

Kurama thought a moment and then began. First, he gave an overview of the existence planes. Then, he explained who he was in a previous life and his escape to the Ningenkai. He told his mother of his initial plan to leave Shuichi's body and his change of heart after she stopped the bookshelf from falling onto him. He explained his relationship with Yusuke and told her about Asuka.