9| Paventoso (Or, Fearfully)

The tiny orbs that twinkled like fireflies swirled around Asuka as she stood on a lake shore lit by stars of blue, red, and green. Asuka's chestnut hair blew behind her as the lake rippled. She heard a voice whisper in the wind, "You must return to us..."

Asuka sat upright with a violent gasp.

The lamp on Kurama's side table flicked on, and when their eyes met, his widened. His arms flew around her and drew her to his bare, muscled chest. "I'm here, Love. You're with me, and you're safe."

Asuka breathed deeply as she got her trembling under control. Kurama squeezed her tight and ran gentle fingers through her hair.

"I've got you," he murmured. "What were you dreaming about?"

Asuka slowly exhaled, then shivered. "I was standing on the shore of a lake, and there were glittering stars above me. They were green, red, and blue. And...those same colors were swirling all around me."

"Stars?" Kurama asked.

"Yes. Except...I'm not sure, but...they didn't seem like literal stars. They seemed like something else. I'm not sure what."

"Hmmm."

Asuka looked up and saw Kurama's face creased with thinking lines. "Right before I woke up, I heard a voice telling me to return somewhere."

Kurama's ki briefly flared. It was slight—so slight, Asuka almost didn't notice the fluctuation. She asked, "What do you think it means?"

"Hard to say," he said carefully.

"I feel like I've been to that lake before. It's so strange, Kurama. And I don't know. I've had this feeling in the back of my mind...like something is not quite right with the world."

"What do you mean?"

Asuka adjusted herself so her ear was over Kurama's heart. She heard it beat in a strong, steady rhythm, and it further calmed her. "I can't explain it, exactly. I thought maybe it was just me and the feeling was caused by my hormones or something, but now I worry there's more to it."

Kurama rubbed her arm. "It makes little sense for you to worry right now."

"I suppose."

His lips brushed her forehead. "We have some time before we have to get up for the day. Would you like to sleep more?"

"No," said Asuka. "I don't think I can sleep anymore. That dream was so vivid."

"How about we get up and go out to breakfast before we go to the clinic?"

"That sounds nice."

"Okay." Kurama's fingers went through Asuka's hair again. "Would you like to shower with me?"

"Yes, please."

Kurama insisted Asuka sit on a stool while he washed her hair. His fingers massaged her scalp, her neck, and her shoulders. He gently combed her hair after he conditioned it.

As he tended to her, Asuka felt the worry she had about her dream melt away. "Thank you," she said to him. "Can I do the same for you?"

"Maybe some other time. For now, let's get dressed and get breakfast."

"Okay." My dream frightened him, Asuka realized. Why?

It had been so long since she'd seen him like this. What was going through his mind?

Kurama was looking intensely at her right now. She could see the worry more clearly, and...the desire. His eyes were hooded with lust. It was as if covering her with his body would make his fright go away. "Do you want to skip breakfast?" she asked. "Would you like to stay home and be with me instead?"