Prologue

Prologue

My eyes opened wide. My breath froze midway in my lungs. My body stiffened. My vision blurred. My heart stopped. I couldn’t describe what I felt right now. Shock. Guilt. Mad. Insane. Happy. Anger. Free. Most importantly was the betrayal I felt. It clouded up everything. My best friend that I once loved. The best friend I had imagined and planned a whole future around had...has. She tried to kill me. Is, killing me. A minuscule amount of breath that had been claimed by my throat was finally set free. Ever so slowly I looked down. The only thing I could see was a shiny point that was quickly becoming covered in blood. The knife had been so long it went in through my back and popped out in the front. I looked back up at her astonished. “You...” I breathed. A single tear rolled down my cheek. I had so much more to do.

            There are more people out there like me?

            Why would they want me dead?

            I was too weak to fully process the sudden loudness that erupted around me. Dozens of big warm hands touched my body. Only a few cold ones stood out. My eyes were still open. I knew they were, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out why I could only see blackness. I could slightly feel their touch. I could still hear their voices, faintly. I almost smell them. I just couldn’t see them. Slowly everything started disappearing. Their voices, their smell, their touch. For a moment I could have sworn I had seen their faces. Worried. Angry. Outraged. Sad. Disappointed. I gathered up all the energy I could muster up and in a large shock wave sent it out to random bodies in the room. The power give them knowledge on how to kill the black eyed beings and how to create weapons that can kill them. If I was to die they’d have no way to protect themselves, I need to give them a fighting chance. I heard the gasp and thuds as the powerful shock wave sent them to the floor. I felt the energy leave my body.

            Suddenly pictures flashed before my eyes. It wasn’t my life but it was. I wasn’t watching Alexandra Psyche Henderson’s life flash before my eyes, I watching Psyche Nikala Liamword’s life flash before my eyes, and the beauty of my real self was unbelievable.

            I could almost feel myself smiling. I think I finally understood my talk with Phoenix. It wasn’t time for me before, but it was now.