Chapter 26

“You know I wonder about you.”

“I wonder about you too.” He said smirking at me.

“No I’m serious.”

“So am I.”

I sighed. I was home alone with Dion. I told Mat to go out since he had taken care of me all day yesterday besides I was feeling much better. “I’m serious. You’re the only angel vampire I’ve met. Heck, you’re the only angel I’ve met!” Dion looked away. I could see the muscles of his jaw clench. I scouted closer to him. “Tell me about you.” I said just above a whisper. He looked at me but remained silent. “Want me to tell you about me?” I asked hoping it would make him want to talk about himself.

“Sure.” He said lowering the volume on the TV.

“Hmm.. Where to start…?” I said looking down and nibbling on a nail. Dion’s big soft hand came up to pull back a strand of rebel hair.

“Start with your friend Dalia.” He said much calmer. He turned slightly in his seat. His hand came down but stayed on my hand which was on my thigh. I was sitting on my knees on the couch turned to face him. I put my head on the back of the couch.

“Umm.. Okay. Well, we met in third grade. She had just move here. For the first week everyone was ignoring her but then she tripped over her shoe laces.” I smiled at the memory. Dalia was a lot like Chuckie from the Rugrats. “Her shoe laces were always untied and she always tripped because of it. That week I was out of the country. Traveling with my parents. When I came back I saw her trip and I helped her pick up her things. After, I found out we had class together and we were seated next to each other. It was like love at first sight, only it was friendship at first fall.” I laughed. “At the time I wasn’t as.. ‘cool’ or as out there as I am now. I always knew I didn’t fit in. I guess even the kids knew it because they almost never talked to me. It was almost like they were scared of me. Well some of them were scared of me anyway.” I watched as I intertwined our hands together. I stroked his hand with my thumb. “I was bullied. It’s funny. A lot of people think little kid’s don’t bully each other but it’s not true.”

Dion let go of my hand and rapped his arm around me. He pulled me close so I was leaning against his chest. For a while I just sat there frozen. At some point I finally relaxed. I turned around and put my head on his lap. He looked down at me and started stroking my hair.

I cleared my throat before speaking. “When Dalia came everything changed. At first we did simple things like lying or coping other kid’s homework. Then we started breaking the rules. We brought candy and gum to eat in class. Then she told me to steal my bullies cookie.” I chuckled slightly. “Dalia was always so brave. I had gotten caught trying to steal it and the girl said she was going to tell on me. I had never gotten in trouble before. Dalia stood up for me. She made the bully so scared she peed her pants.” I smiled. “She was awesome. From then on it was her and I against the world. That was until middle school. We met more people and our duo grew. Everyone you saw at the crypt was our best friends. We’re a tight-knit group.” I paused for a moment thinking. “I think with out her I would have been too scared to walk down that crypt alone. I probably would have ended up as some loner wearing all black.”

“You think?” He asked intrigued.

“Yeah.”

“Now what about that Brian kid? What is he to you?”

I shook my head. “A friend. A new comer. The reason we looked so close was probably because we bonded over our adoption. He was the only one who knew of it. I told him to always pretend he didn’t know about it and that if one day everyone found out to act just as surprised.”