Chapter 30

I was running. Always running. I was on a dirt path worn down by dozen’s of animals migrating through the woods. I could clearly feel the hard dirt path on my feet. Leafs and twigs embedded them selves in my feet. Dirt lodged it’s self in between my toes. I was out of breath and in pain. My chest constricted painfully as I gasped in another deep breath. I grabbed at my shoulder. I could feel that it was dislocated but I didn’t stop running. As I continued to run I blindly rapped my scarf around my other arm. It was extremely painful but I managed. I had a deep gash on the side of my forearm. Blood flowed out from it like a rocky waterfall. It glided smoothly down my arm leaving a bloody trail behind me. Dark spots appeared before me blocking my eye sight now and again. My head went in all different directions and nothing was still. It only made me push ever harder. With a groan I launched myself down the path. Blood fell from the sky. I looked up. No one was above me. The sky was a dark grey. A plan flat dark grey. The sky. It was….bleeding. Dyeing. Someone… The presence of something that shouldn’t be here was killing it. Killing the earth. I looked away from the dark red clouds.

I ran faster. I didn’t have much time left. Tears sprang from my eyes as I realized if I didn’t do this in time everyone, every single thing, including the planet Earth, including me, was going to die. The thought of Earth and everyone I love dyeing made me pick up speed even more. I pressed down on the ground and cursed myself for being human. I need super speed. Where was he? Where were they? Why weren’t they coming? They had told me they would be right behind me. I snuck a peak behind me but I didn’t even catch a glimpse of movement. They were died weren’t they? My steps faltered a little. I couldn’t let myself think about it. Instead I though about what would delay them.

I heard foot steps behind me and turned around hopeful. No. It wasn’t them. It was one of the kids I went to school with. He was running on all fours. His eyes nothing but black holes. A single black tear slid from his eyes. I turned around and continued running. I heard more foot steps but didn’t turn around. I knew it wouldn’t be them. It was just more people coming after me. A magical glow came from behind me but it didn’t stop me.

“Keep going! Don’t look back!” It was a man. I couldn’t recognize the man in my dream but the me in the dream did. It told me to trust him. Another glow came this time it started at me and flew back. I was protecting myself. I was using powers I didn’t even have yet. Once the glow disappeared I listened to the sounds but there was none.

I became elated as the house came into view. A two story white house. It was old fashioned. Very old. At the top was a deck and in the middle was a bell tower. Around the bell was a little walk way. I for some reason called it a widow’s walk even though it clearly wasn’t. The house was condemned. Wood was nailed over the window’s and door. I held out my hand and the wood blocking the door burst sending broken wood flying everywhere. The stairs creaked as I stepped up onto the porch. Stepping into the dark house I continued running. I skidded to a stop as a large and bulky man appeared in front of me. In the middle of us was a stair way. I needed to get up there. A hand manifested it’s self on my lower back. I didn’t dare look because the hand felt so comfortable. So usual and common. Like it belonged.

“Go. I’ll take care of him.” His voice sounded so deep and pained. By his panting I could tell he was in pain.

With out thinking twice I ran up the stairs. Right now was not the time for saying your final good byes, at least not if you’re the one who has a limited time to save the world. As I made my way up the stairs I screamed back at the man, “I will forever love you!”

“And I will love you even after my last breath!” With that the man became consumed by the fight.

I ran the rest of the way up the stairs. I came to the deck and made my way to the top of the bell tower. Even as my leg slipped into a large crack I didn’t stop running only hoisted myself up using the rigged wooden railing and continued running. My body ached. My soul hurt. My insides churned.

It needs to be done, I reminded myself. It has to be done. I have no choice. There’s no need for love in my life, not yet, not until I survive this. If I survive it. I stood up on the roof of the bell tower looking down at everything below me. In the distance I could see people fighting. Flames blew up to the sky and screams replaced the howling wind. I conjured up all the powers I had. This was my last chance. My only chance. My first and last. If I didn’t do it… if I didn’t succeed everything we’ve all worked for would come to an abrupt end. I put my hands in front of my as if I were holding a ball and concentrated. A big glowing blue ball with purple flecks appeared in my hands. Mist roamed around it like a tiny misty planet. It strangely reminded me of Neptune.

Behind me foot steps appeared. “Wait!”

I looked over but I couldn’t see the mans face. I smiled none the less. “I love you.”

“Not as much as I love you.” He replied walking towards me.

I didn’t reply only gave me a sad knowing smile. I loved him enough to die for him. Just as he loved me enough to fight for me until his last breath. Star-crossed lovers perhaps? With out my noticing I let the ball of energy go. Still I never once looked away. I felt the life drain from me. The man stepped forward and caught me before I could hit the ground. I put my hand to his cheek and felt his tears. Suddenly the light from my ball of energy consumed everything making the picture before me vanish into a sharp bright light. But not before I could hear, “The last page in the book we found in the basement has a spell to save you. It’s worked before with the Darkness, it’ll work for you.” Even the man didn’t believe a word he said as he looked into the eyes of his beloved, me. Light over powered everything.

I felt numb. Lifeless. Like something was missing. Like it was gone. The bright light quickly became replaced my total and complete darkness. A poke on my chest made me gasp and sit up right. I clutched at my chest were a single blood drop tilted and landed on my shirt. My heart was pumping a mile per second. Buzzing noise replace the concerned voices around me. I blinked a couple of times before I could finally make out their faces.

I continued panting and I could finally hear what they were saying. It didn’t concern me though. I swept my legs off the side of the couch and stood up. I lost balanced and Mat had to steady me with one arm. “I have to go.” I said yanking my arm out his grip. I walked to the door frame before he caught my arm again.

“You expect me to let you leave when you almost died? Actually you really did die there for a moment. Your heart just stopped. We had to give you shot of adrenaline to get your heart pumping again.” That explained the little drop of bleed from my chest.

I looked at him incredulous. “Do you want me to save the world or not? You have to trust me.” I said trying to yank my arm out of his hand. After a moment he let go. “None of you follow me. None!” I said sternly. I felt the need to protect the place. I turned on my heel and went to my room. It was then I realized I was in the living room and not my bed room. Shaking my head of meaningless thoughts I took a quick cold shower, changed into some comfortable loose clothes, grabbed my bag and keys, and headed down stairs.

“Look she’s in sneakers.” John said pointing at my favorite pair of sneakers.

I almost ran head first into the door when I realized the sky might be bleeding or someone could be out there waiting for me. I waited a moment with my hand out reached towards the knob. Everyone stood around me looking at me worried. I was sure we were all listening to the same noise; my heart. Shaking my head in determination I flung the door open. I stepped out side and went straight to my car. I put the keys in the ignition and started the car. I stopped though. There was no way I could get to my destination in my car. At least not for another couple of days. I needed something that will get me there in hours. Sighing I turned off the car and got out. I slammed the door of the house shut as I stepped in.

Mat was standing not far off discussing something with a group of boys. I walked right up to him and held out my hand. “I need to borrow money.” He looked at me incredulous. “Cash or a bank card. I don’t want you tracing my location.” I said as I saw he was about to give me a credit card. “I’ll just go to the bank and take out some money.” Mat pursed his lips before pulling out a bank card. I gave him a sarcastic smile and ran out the door again repeating the process.