Chapter 20

I could hear mummers but I couldn’t see anything. I groaned as I tried to swallow my saliva. It hurt. Badly. I heard someone call out my name before I realized that person was carrying me.

“You know you can put me down.” I said wincing. My voice sounded horrible and it didn’t feel any better.

“Don’t talk. I’ll get you some water.”

I squinted my eyes at the light until they adjusted. Looking around I realized it was day time. The sun was still rising and the room was full of blood. Mat was carrying me bridal style and his arm was injured. He set me down on the blood soaked couch before sitting down himself. He groaned as he did so and I realized he had claw marks on his stomach.

“Oh god! Your stomach!” I hands fluttered over his wound.

“It’s fine. How are you?” His voice was layered in pain.

“I’ll live but look at you!” Those looked like serious wounds. It ran from the bottom of his chest to his naval. I always thought my brother would have an amazing six pack like Dion but he didn’t. It was just a plain stomach. Not that he wasn’t obviously fit. He had the outlines just not the whole thing.

CT came in with a glass of water and about thirty first aid kits. I looked around and everyone was helping others put on bandages. It reminded me of the way the old hospitals looked like back in the day during war. In fact it scared me. It scared me a lot. They say the after math is always more scary. I’ve never seen the after math until now. I’d have to say I kind of agree.

Dion came in after CT carrying a blonde boy who was carrying his guts. I gagged a little so I looked away. CT patted my arm as he gave me the cup and sat down next to me. I savored the way the freezing water slid down my throat. It felt so good that my eyes closed and I drank the whole thing in one gulp. I wiped the side of my mouth as I felt some of the water leak.

I groaned. “That felt so good.” Though right now I could be bothered with my own feelings. “Now. Who needs help?” I said standing up and grabbing a first aid kit. When I looked back at Mat I could tell he was completely drained. He was half asleep. At least I hope he was because I really didn’t want him dying on me. “Guess you’ll be the first costumer.” I said slapping his face a little so he would wake up. He looked around disorientated before looking back at me and smiling. Sighing at the look on his face I kneeled beside him and began cleaning his wounds.

Dion, CT and a couple other guys came in and out the house. Sometimes they brought more injured people with them other times they brought in full trash bags. When they left they took shovels and knives. I was sure I didn’t want to know what they were for.

After a while they settled into the room and onto the couch. CT had cuts everywhere but nothing major. Dion on the other hand. He was doing some serious bleeding. After resting a while CT got up and started cleaning and bandaging up wounds. Those that weren’t seriously harmed went around getting everyone what they needed and cleaning wounds up. We continued cleaning wounds and banding them. When I was done with Mat I went to Dion’s side and started cleaning his wound. He had been stabbed and bitten and clawed. He groaned as I put some alcohol on his wound.

“Stop being such a baby.” I said smiling and playfully smacking his leg. I cleaned the wound and put gauze on them.

“Is that anyway to treat a soldier?” He asked playfully. I wrapped the bandage around his midsection.

Slowly my smile faded. “No. But you know….. No matter who’s fighting the war or what the war is about…” Tears came to my eyes as I hard someone shout about getting him to the hospital. “It’s never a good sight.” The room had grown silent. I got up and took the bloody water bowl with me to the kitchen. The tears I had managed to keep inside fell as I let the bloody water go down the drain. Someone came in behind me.

“You know your going to have to deal with it.” Dion said slightly cold and concerned.

I huffed. “I know.” I said rolling my eyes and keeping the tears out of my voice.

He was silent for a while. “It doesn’t get any easier. You just learn to deal with it.” He said quietly.

Where was the comfort? I shook my head. “Alright.” I whispered hoping he’d just leave me alone.

“But you know… I’m here for you.” He whispered in my ear. I could feel his chest against my back and his breath blowing my hair. His arms slowly made their around my waist as he hugged me to him. He leaned his head against mine and sighed. I felt like maybe I wasn’t the only one who needed the hug. I leaned my body against his but didn’t turn around. I didn’t want anyone to see me weak. I sighed in the comfort of his arms. I heard a couple groans and a scream in agony. I think he felt me tense up because he pulled me tighter against his body.

Collecting myself I spoke, “We should go. We need as many nurses as we can get.” I whipped the tears from my eyes. “Maybe you can give them a sexy dance.” I said filling up the bowl with fresh water. I turned around in his arms and gave him a small smile. He looked down at me with concern before sighing and releasing me.