Chapter 24

I walked into the kitchen and gave Mat a big kiss on the cheek. “Morning.”

I whipped around and grabbed a plate out the sink and began to wash it. “Good morning little sister.” He replied kissing the top of my head.

I heard a kid complain about wanting a kiss and got a brilliant idea. After I had the dish washed I dried my hands and walked over to CT and squished his cheeks so he couldn’t talk. I kissed his forehead with an extra loud, “Mauh!”

“Aw! We want a kiss!” One of the boys said.

“Hold your horses. I’m feeling generous today so everyone get’s kisses.” I said walking over to a table. I began kissing all of them on the cheeks and foreheads. These boys seriously needed girl friends. As I neared the end of the boys I noticed Dion was watching me expectantly. After I kissed all of them I purposely walked right by him and gave my brother, CT, and extra kiss. Dion huffed and returned to eating his food. I went to grab ketchup off one of the tables and stood behind Dion unnoticed, by him. I put my finger to my lips telling everyone to be quite. I placed my hands in front of me and leaned towards him. I could feel his back on my torso. He was about to place more food in his mouth. I took that as my chance and leaned in kissing him behind the ear. He froze and turned around slowly. I smiled innocently. I took the seat in between him and CT. Mat placed food in front of me in the plate I washed.

“Why’d you kiss me?” Dion said gruffly.

“Because you wanted it.” I said not looking at him.

He huffed. “Who said that?”

“Come on. We both know you wanted it.” I said finally looking at him knowingly.

He glared at me before his eyes flickered to my hair making his expression soften. “You cut your hair.” He leaned away from the table and touched my hair. “Is it naturally like that?”

“What tight curls?” I said around a mouth of food. Of course I wasn’t disgusting so I covered my mouth when I spoke but I still felt the need to say it. “Sorry.” I muttered before swallowing and drinking some juice. “Yeah. It’s naturally like this but it’s hard to control so I always have it straightened.” I said playing with a strand that kept making it’s was to the corner of my eye. Dion pulled the strand back and twisted it around. “Thanks.” I muttered scratching the corner of my eye.

“You didn’t tell me you were going to cut your hair yesterday.” Mat said sounding slightly insulted.

I bit my lip. “I wanted it to be a surprise. Plus it was sort of a late minute thing. I figure if I’m going to live a new life I needed a new hair style.” I said nodding my head definitely. “And a new wardrobe. Do any of you boys get mani pedi’s?” I asked looking around they all looked at me liked I was crazy. “Sorry. Some boys in my school do. Anyways I don’t see the attraction. I’m never getting another mani pedi in my life. Not that I’ve ever been to a nail salon before. I figured I’d try something new. Did not work out. Anyways I’m going to school.” I said finishing off my plate. I handed it to Mat. I kissed him and CT on the cheek before running out the door.

School was much the same. I found that my English class has become much more interesting since we are studying mythology and now that I’ve meet most creatures in it. Let me tell you. Not all of them are as mean as they say. I joined my usual gang of friends at lunch but I found I was very much out of the loop. I didn’t know any of the new gossip. In fact I didn’t find any of it interesting. Not that I ever did. It’s just that now it seemed so much more stupid and irrelevant. I felt like an outsider. Like I had been away for days. Months even. Day’s seemed to past much like that with them. The outside looking in. Yet somehow I couldn’t bring myself to care much about trying to get back in the loop. If I continued to keep close with them I would only do them harm. I sat by them at lunch but I focused on my new notebook. I scribbled everything down Mat told me about each species. I wanted to have a recording of every species I met. I want to know their weakness and their strength. I wanted to know how to kill them. With this war happening I have no choice but to learn to defend myself. Maybe my parents will finally let me take boxing classes. Not that it would help against a werewolf or vampire but it would make me feel safer. After lunch I proceeded to my other classes. Once school was over I practically ran to my car eager for some reason to get home. All day I had been feeling stuffy. I thought it was probably because the school was so dusty it was just getting to my nose but when I got in my car I sneezed. My car was clean. Very clean. I had a habit of cleaning it every two or three days so it wasn’t dusty or dirty. Maybe I was getting sick? I groaned as I turned on the car. That’s just what I needed. Fighting a war with a cold. Great.

On the way home a bright long sharp light hit the ground. A few minutes later came the crashing BOOM. Rain started to pour down immediately. I groaned even louder. Not only was I most likely sick but it was raining and I didn’t have an umbrella or even something to put over my head.

When I got home I didn’t even bother to park my car in the detached garage. I left it out front and made my way up the stairs. The door opened and I ran inside hiding from the chill wind with rain right behind. Dion had opened the door and Mat was coming down the stairs.

I looked at Dion. “Shesh!” He said grinning from ear to ear.

“Don’t say it.” I warned him.

He chuckled. “Say what? That you look like a drowned cat?” He asked innocently. I glared at him. “At least you look like an adorable little kitten.” He said tilting up my chin. I continued to glare at him and hit him on the chest with my keys. “I’ll go park it from you, my adorable little kitten. Now I’m warning you. I don’t usually take in stray’s but your just too adorable. Don’t go telling your other kitten friends okay.” I pushed him out the door while he just laughed in amusement.

“Are you okay?” Mat asked. I sneezed.

“You have the cutest sneeze.” Dion said stepping back inside. “Just like a little kitten.” He said disarranging my wet hair. Mat asked him about parking the car. “John’s parking it.” He said pointing towards the door. I sneezed again.

“Are you sick?” Mat asked. I looked at him through half shut eyes. I groaned before walking forward and walking up the stairs.

When I got to my room I shed my wet clothes and took a short but steaming hot shower. I changed into some nice dried clothes. I pulled the covers down and got into bed snuggling deep into it’s fluffiness.