Chapter 7

I don't do outlines, I do picrews with character development and things just go from there.

           "... This is excessive," I glared with a heaving chest, my hands fisted in the dirt and my body throbbing at every breath I took. The fire elite standing not even a few feet away raised his brow. The war hammer over his shoulder loosely in his grip as his red eyes smugly looked down at me. Waiting for me to get up. The bastard.

          "I'm in charge of the front lines, you've got to be able to survive them, brat," He smirked, twisting the hammer's handle. Spitting the metallic taste from my mouth I ground my teeth and glared at the ground. With a slow breath, I pushed myself back up, my legs wobbling as I wiped my mouth. With a hum, his smirk gone, he stared at me for a second before dropping his hammer.

              My gaze followed, the dirk puffing around the heavy hammer, and before I knew what had happened I was flying back with a booth slamming into my stomach. My cry died beneath the forceful removal of my lunch. "Nasty," He glared, stepping back as I coughed, my shoulders shaking and body heavy. The world shook around me as I struggled to get back to my feet.

           "For someone... In charge of the frontl-lines, you sure... Don't go th-there," I panted, my hand hugging at my stomach and legs hardly listening. His blurred silhouette gone the moment my eyes settled on him. Suddenly, I was facefirst in my own vomit. A hand grinding into the back of my head as I could only grab at his wrist.

           "For trash, you sure do talk a lot," He growled, his foot adding pressure before I was able to push off the ground.

            "You're so damn childish," I glared, wiping my filthy cheek but not able to get my legs under me again.

            "And you still haven't learned to shut your fucking mouth," He snarled, grabbing at my hair- trying to force me back to my feet but pausing as I just stumbled grabbing at his wrist. Falling back to my knees as my chest heaved, I weakly dug my nails into him, his face three blurry outlines. "... Alright," He let out as my support was gone and I wavered, falling to the dirt. Whimpering I struggled to push myself up only to roll over.

           "... Can't even get up but still barking? Hah! If you can't win then beg! Beg for your life and roll over! If you can't fight then cover your head and hold your breath!" He shouted, crouching next to me, half-heartedly slapping at my cheek with the back of his hand while I struggled to swat at that hand.

          "I'll... I'll lose if I did," I shot catching his wrist while he paused, my eyes falling closed. A heavy silence fell between us before I was dragged up by my shirt.

          "... You really are the fucking worst," He signed, dragging me to my feet only to roughly throw my weakly struggling self over his shoulder. "You're paying for this shirt, it was expensive and you've already bled all over it," He stated, leaning to the side as I grabbed at his shirt.

          "Oh, I'm sorry," I rolled my eyes just letting him carry me, grunting as he roughly tossed me up in an attempt to fix the crude way he chose to pick me up.

          "Don't bleed on it then," He snorted, making me shut up as I let out a small hum- my eyes heavy.

          "I'm just saying, it would make everyone's life easier if you were just, even if just a tiny bit, more gentle with her. I don't have the mana to give and just because you like to abuse your authority does not mean that will change," Came a strained very familiar voice as I moaned tightening my eyes.

         "She isn't going to learn anything if I am, so suck it up, I don't have a reason to care about some mid-aged man trying to skim out on his job. We pay you, so work," An annoyed voice snapped back as I blinked, staring at the white ceiling I knew far too well. "See? She's fine,"

       Glancing at the two from the corner of my eye I didn't know if I was supposed to get mad or be polite. He was an ass. I hated him and no matter how many times he dragged me here he wasn't any nicer the next time he decided to 'teach' me. But I was still his apprentice. And I had already gotten in trouble for biting at an elite in an 'inappropriate' setting.

           "Gross. Don't look at me like that." With that, a cold sopping-wet towel was roughly slapped onto my face. "I'm on probation," He stated as I glared at him, having taken the rag off and sat up. Upon my confused look he added, "You said I haven't been on the front lines, it's because I'm on probation,"

           "..." Staring at James he let out a loud sigh before rolling his eyes and getting out with a grumble about it being his office, "I heard you were the reason the council had ended up fighting with Vixen last time she dropped by," I stated wiping my face with the rag and watching him from the corner of my eye. He stared back for a moment, only to grab the seat that James had been sitting in and flipped it around. Sitting in it backward he put his arms on the back and sighed.

           "Yes, but that's not the only reason, I'm the youngest, I can't be making mistakes. The finalized reason was that some low-magic fuckers whined to Edward about 'discrimination' and Vixen was just the tipping point. So I'm stuck here, dealing with this annoying ass brat people keep calling a monster," he ruffled the back of his head with a glare.

            "Well, for starters, maybe don't call people 'low-magic fuckers'-" I deadpanned while he raised a sharp brow at me, letting me know I was on thin ice- "Second," I continued uncaringly, "If you wanna know why they're calling me a monster, let me use my magic," I offered with a sweet smile.

          "I don't use my magic, why the blazen would I let you?" He scowled rolling his eyes while I opened my mouth. Closing it I looked at the rag in my hand. He hasn't used his magic since I broke his elbow. "... Why are you even telling me all this?" I glared while he scoffed and got up.

           "Why are you deflecting after asking for an unfair fight? I can say whatever the blazen I want, not like anyone going to believe you anyways." My grip tightened on the rag as I decided to answer my own question.

            "You're nineteen," I stated, his hand, which was just about to turn the doorknob, stopped. "You're twenty years younger than the second youngest within the council. I'm fifteen and just got accepted into the bubble. I'm the closest to your age. You might hate me, you might think lowly of me, but you're lonely, aren't you?" He didn't answer, just stayed at the door for a long second before looking over his shoulder. No hostility. Just a calm gaze.

            "You sure can't shut your mouth, huh?" With that, he walked out, not bothering to deny it- not even slamming the door behind himself. Opening my mouth to call after him, my skin crawling at his lack of response I groaned as I fell back into the uncomfortable bed. I shouldn't have said that. I thought he'd snap back and he won't open his mouth again. Why couldn't he just get mad about it and storm off?

              Gods, I need a shower.