Chapter 37

"I can't just overlook a dragon so close to the school," She repeated again while I hummed, stepping over a large log knowing she couldn't say shit.

          "You don't have to," I threw half-heartedly, hopping down the rocky hillside while a squeal sounded behind me. Pausing with a sigh I turned around, finding her on her ass. It really was shocking how bad she was at hiking considering the fact that we literally live in the middle of a forest. I stared at her while she stared back, seeming to expect my help, before huffing and pushing herself back up on the unstable hillside. Then immediately started falling forward again.

       Watching her go rolling the rest of the way down I stepped to the side. "You-!" She huffed and puffed glaring at me as I could have easily caught her. Raising a brow with my hand on my hip I just gave a sugar sweet smile. "The dragon has to go," She ground, flinging the mud off her hands.

         "Can't exactly fly," I shrugged, tossing my hands to the back of my head and continuing my way back again.

         "It should have been killed!" She hissed while I let out a whistle.

         "Was told not to kill it." Smirking as she let out an exasperated grunt I twirled around and continued backward, watching her fight against the terrain.

         "You can not keep a dragon," She glared harder, her eyes lighting up as I slipped, with a quick twist of my torso, I was hopping along without so much as a stumble. Glancing at her over my shoulder with both my brows raised I found the solemn look of a petty woman.

         "Don't plan to, just not letting it die,"

         "You're about to go on an expedition, what do you plan to do with it, huh?" Glancing at the sky as a glimmer peaked through the trees, I watched Vitreus jump between from the tree he landed on to the next.

         "Wing it?" I offered, forgetting about that part. It had been pushed back anyway so I didn't really need to think about it.

        "Wing it? Wing it?!" She exclaimed as I hummed glancing around. New claw marks on quite a few trees. Owlbear? Or griffin?

        "Yep," I popped the P, grabbing a low branch and swinging under a fallen tree.

        "It is a dragon! A catastrophe-level beast! You can't just wing it." Rolling my eyes as I turned my feet to slide down a steeper little drop I paused and turned to watch her as she eyed it, before cautiously sitting down and sliding.

         "I'll just have a Latro around then," I shrugged while she patted off her trousers with a scrunched nose.

           "I thought you couldn't be separate from them?" She shot, her gaze snapping to meet mine while I just raised both brows at the statement. One I gave to Edward.

          "And I thought you were a law-abiding citizen," I smiled pleasantly while her face fell flat.

        "I'm not going to overlook a dragon in the woods," She stated coldly while I just rolled my eyes again and turned to continue.

         "Then don't," I repeated yet again. Do I want it to die? Not really. Do I think Edward would kill it? Nope. Will I get punished? Sure. But he'd love to have someone with a real bonified dragon under his thumb. And, well, I just so happen to already be there.

        Vitreus was close enough that I was questionable but with a real one, I would truly be a force he couldn't ignore. Hmm... Maybe I should make sure her mouth stayed shut after all.

         "Lilith," She forced making me sigh and turn around to her again, her out-of-breath self with a look so serious I debated leaving her out here. "You aren't even playing with fire anymore, you're just seeking death,"

         "Oh noooo," I drew out flatly, her seriousness melting into exasperation once more at the responses I kept giving her to her oh-so-serious statements. "You gonna do it?" She jumped at that one as a razor-sharp grin pulled at my lips. "Watch the life leave my eyes as I bleed out from a wound you caused? Watching the little glass mage you're staking your whole career on die off before they get to be something? Before they can live whatever little dream you've made up for them?" I pressed, with strong steps towards her as she took a hesitant one back, only, she tripped and fell on her ass again as I paused above her.

         "Stay in your lane, yeah?" I leaned forward, tapping her nose with a smile before turning around again.

         "Lilith!" She snapped while I shrugged, tossing my hands up with it.

         "Stop talking about my death so much, that is, unless you'll be the one to kill me," I threw over my shoulder as my hands found the back of my head again.

         "You are a child! You shouldn't be chasing death so willingly!" She snipped while I let out an over-dramatic sigh, the subject starting to annoy me.

          "And you shouldn't be projecting onto a teenager, yet here we are." She gasped at that one.

        "I am not-"

       "Nor should you be acting like you're twelve," I cut her off uncaringly, stepping out of the tree line and onto the edge of the practical field.

       "You should respect your elders!"

        "If you acted like it, I just might," I didn't hesitate, a hand snatching my wrist, forcing my hands from my head and me to face her.

        "I'm not overlooking the dragon," She pressed harder, making me just raise my brows and snort in her face.

        "Okay," I snickered, patting her shoulder.

         "I'll tell him about your Latro!" She tried harder, swatting my hand away.

        "Go for it,"

        "And the potion you made me drink!" Pausing at that one I tilted my head. That one might be a problem.

         "You sure are trying hard to blackmail me," I smiled, her eyes widening slightly as I took a step forward.

          "That's not-"

         "Anyway!" I chirped, clapping, "Go for it! Tell him every little thing you want, stars know I can't stop you, you're a person with your own free will," I slowly circled her while her hand locked around her wrist in front of her. "Oh, but if you need to feed your ego, do it yourself, yeah? I'm busy,"

        Opening her mouth, she shut it, instead glaring at me as I just kept my smile. "Now then," I looked over her muddied and ruffled self, "Why don't you go clean up before you run to him? Won't want him to think you're crazy,"