Chapter 9

"And just why did you do something so stupid?" He asked, my teeth grinding as I glared at him, my hands digging into his wrist as he held my braids in his fist. "Long hair is the worst thing you could have done," He hummed, giving it a jerk as I cried out. Kicking off the tree I had been pinned to I slammed my back into his chest- getting nothing more than a raised brow.

         "Be realist Lilith-" Stomping on his foot he took a quick step back, my feet slamming into the tree again as I brought my knees to my chest. My eyes squeezed shut at the heat rushing to my scalp but he had released me with a curse. "Fuck! Gods! You are such a pain in my ass!" He hissed, holding his bleeding nose as I found my feet, arms tucked to my chest.

          "You know what? I've been too nice today anyway," he spat, wiping his nose with the back of his hand. "If you can still stand I haven't done my job, now have I?" He glared but I didn't bother to answer him. There wasn't a point to it, the moment I opened my mouth I'd say something that would just get me in trouble. I couldn't say a single nice thing to Averin after all.

        His open hand shot at my face as I leap to the side, already knowing of the tree behind me. Only, I wasn't fast enough, a hand tangling into my hair again as I cried out. With a backward jerk, a knee found my back. Gasping I didn't have a second to catch my breath, finding the ground roughly. He paused for a second, watching as I started to cough and curled around myself.

         "... Done?" The surprised voice echoed in my ears as I panted, glaring at him while he block the sun. "You can't even run today, it's disgusting," He stated with a hand on his hip remaining above me.

          "... It's not my fault," I said softly, sitting up. I had thought it would be fine if I had tied them back but that just gave him a better grip.

         "Then whose is it?" He offered a hand, indeed nicer than he has been.

          "Yastum told me my hair was a problem," I mumbled staring at one of my small braids. I wasn't going to cut it, and I certainly wasn't going to straighten it.

         "So it's Yastum's?" My glare was back as my gaze snapped to him and his unveiled trap. He was smarter than I had given him credit for, he knew just what would catch someone, but he wasn't even trying to hide his traps. He was insulting me with clear and obvious threats.

         "No, she merely mentioned how unprofessional I looked," I said sweetly, getting to my feet and brushing off my blouse.

        "Hmm," He didn't move even though I had gotten up, merely watching me, "How unfortunate, you're being used as a noble," the sarcasm dripping from his lips was as disgusting as the amusement in his smile.

         "I am a Windsor to call my hair-" Biting my tongue I narrowed my eyes. He was hiding one behind an obvious one. He wanted me to lower my guard.

           "Windsor~" He hummed, a wicked grin on his face while he walked a circle around me as if I was some kind of prey. "Right, you are aren't you? One of them nobles, build off the success of others just because you were born from one. And what a name you come from. The Windsor name used to be one that was feared. Left many soldiers shaking in their boots at the thought of one coming to war- until the oh so mighty name found the hands of some greedy merchant bastard-"

         His grin widened as he held my wrist, my fist trembling in his grasp. My teeth grinding and my blood rushing to my ears. "A noble's pride is strong, that makes them weak." Pulling my wrist I slammed into his chest as his other hand took hold of my throat. "So careful little noble, before that pride gets you killed," the whisper finding my ears was a thrilled one, the hand tightening just enough to block the air I breathed, the other so tight I couldn't feel my hand.

         Biting my lip I didn't dare say anything, not even as the metallic taste found my mouth, his eyes dancing as he held my hateful gaze. "Yeah... That's the face you should be making. You need to behave, someone like you especially, even you can do it if you try. If you're too cocky, you'll die and there's no fun in that," he held me for a second longer before letting me go, with a happy hum he threw his hands behind his head and began to walk away.

          With my hand on my throat, I watched his back as he did so. Heat rushed down my other arm as a warm blade found my fingers. With a tight grip, I listen to the pounding in my ears as he walked further and further away. The Windsor name used to be one that was feared. Some greedy merchant bastard. Yeah... That's the face you should be making.

        Tightening my grip I loosened it as he turned the corner into the building. Clicking my tongue I threw the black blade hole heartedly to the side. Staring at the tree it stuck in, his face flashing in my mind again, I threw another. Then another. Then one more. Soon I didn't know how many I had thrown, the words ringing in my ears as my chest heaved.

           "Fuck!" I shouted, collapsing to my knees as I stared at my rough hands digging into the soil beneath me. Who does he think he is? Why does he get to talk to me like that? Why does he get to treat me as if I'm some kind of plaything? Why? Because he's strong? Because he's a genius? Fine. If they want me to behave, I'll fucking behave.