Chapter 23

Scrunching my nose, shouting and growling forcing me awake, I opened my eyes to find two panicking healing mages, one not far off looking half dead. Blinking, the coursing pain I vividly remember hardly even present. Of course, I could not bask in a moment of rest, as James had noticed me opening my eyes. "Dragon! Your dragon!" He quickly snapped, my gaze slowly moving to find Vitreus actively trying to kill Edward, who seemed to be struggling even with help.

           "How long was I out?" I asked uninterested in their drama, finding Averin standing cross-armed between the smaller crowd and the fight, Yastum offering support.

          "Does that matter?!" He shrieked while I looked back at him with a raised brow. "I-Oh my gods I don't get paid enough for this, twenty minutes! Maybe thirty!" Record time. Humming I pushed myself up, getting to my feet and brushing off my shorts before stretching. Practically good as new.

         "Okay~ Now then," Digging my heel into the ground I bolted straight into the fray. Leaping over a spike of earth, I ducked under a flicking tail, and slid under the large and devasting claws of my Vitreus. With an easy and quick bounce in my step, I was throwing my body over his shoulder. His agape jaw paused as the thick red glass dripped from his chin, my hands wrapping around his neck. Pulling he confusedly followed, easily knowing it was me who had mounted him.

          I didn't stop pulling him back as he continued to follow me unsure until he had gone so far that he was on his hind legs, but even then he whole heartened followed, flopping onto his back as I squealed and barely twisted around his neck in time to avoid being crushed. "You dork!" I huffed, blowing my hair from my face as the dust settled, rolling to his side he looked at me with his tongue out, as if he was not trying to kill my bosses. "Troublemaker," I grinned at him, his dark pupils full and engulfing his iris.

         "Are we done now?!" Averin called from his spot unmoving, glancing at him I looked to Edward, who, shockingly, looked even more mad.

         "Well then, I'm just gonna-" A large blue magic circle glowed beneath me and my dragon as Vitreus let out a huff before disappearing. Landing on my feet I stumbled a bit before catching myself with flapping arms. Giving a sheepish smile I looked up at Edward, who was quickly approaching. "There are witnesses! People can see you beating me!" I squealed leaping away from his impulsive swing. "It's illegal to use violence on apprentices! You'll be reported! I'll report you!" I jumped, barely dodging the kick.

         "Consider it direct discipline!" With his hands linked he slammed his fists down right onto my retreating back- sending me straight to the ground as I moaned. "How many times have I warned you, Lilith?!"

        "About killing a dragon? Never," I grinned with a grunt, a very rough boot unafraid of setting me back to the tree I had come from finding me. Hacking and gagging as I slammed right back into it I held my stomach with a wince.

          "You are a danger! You can not draw attention to yourself!"

         "I'd say you were drawing the attention," I coughed with a laugh, pushing myself to my feet. While the repetitive and pleading 'stay down' came from James, who I had landing not far from.

           "A dragon! Lilith! You killed a dragon!" He pressed, waving at the half-collapsed hall while I scoffed.

         "What did you want me to do!? Let it kill everyone?! Let Yastum die?! Be realistic Edward! I couldn't just sit by-!"

           "You damn well could have! Yastum is a magi to the council of mages! She would not have died before reinforcements had arrived! You should have been the one evacuating guests! Protecting the Monarchs!" A rough hand found my face while I clenched my jaw and held my ground, slapping his arm away as he went to hit me harder.