Chapter 20

Screams and shouts dug into my ears as the beast growled, opening its mouth with every intention to burn us all. "VITREUS!" My voice cut through the chaos as that glowing threat suddenly snapped shut with flames brushing past and a growl in its throat. A smaller darker dragon shrieked as its teeth dug into scales, the ceiling crumbling as they snapped and bit at one another, my heart in my ears as my chest heaved. I have to help him. He'll lose.

          "Let go!" I snapped at Yastum, shoving her off my arm and leaping into a sprint, racing against the panicking crowd. Grinding my teeth, I shoved and shoved but didn't gain any ground. Help. I have to help him. Looking to the ceiling again, I found him getting shoved into what was left of it, claws into his chest as he just growled and struggled with all he had.

         "Latro!" I practically begged, red circles glowing beneath my feet, the two dark things crawling from the circles while a dark puddle slithered up my legs. "You have to help Vitreus-" I gasped as the hot magic blocked my airway, my vision going black as nothing but soft lights showed. "Save h...im?" The question came from my mouth but it was not my question.

        "Save him." It stated, looking around at the short glowing lights desperate to run. With a flicking tail we were crouching, only to be shot into the air, large and gorish claws at the ready while Vitreus was being shaken like a rag doll. We slashed at the large and bright light that growled at us. A soft whine pulled from next to us while we stared at the beast that stared back.

            With two heavy steps on the crumbling ceiling, a ground-shaking roar slammed into us but we didn't move, no, a stronger urge ripped through us as we opened a once foreign mask as if it had been our mouth and shrieked right back, tail flicking behind us as we stood between the dragon and my Vitreus. A soft growl left the dragon as it neared, the blurry light sniffing at us as its breath brushed against our still-steaming obsidian.

          The glow concentrated as heat pressed into us, a bright and pure gold pressing into us. I could feel my skin as it boiled, a scream on my lips as I was very quickly forced back. Wind whipped around me as I saw Latro melting against the bright flames of a dragon. Only, two smaller figures were quick to force the beast's head away from the hall.

         I'm falling. Reaching out to Vitreus, who was cracked and chipped, a panicked shrill filled the air as he didn't move. Couldn't move. I was going to fall. I was going to die. A burst of blue light crackled around me just before my back found the hard stone floor. My body convulsed as my jaw clenched. The blue crackled around me as I jolted, hardly rolling to my side as I coughed, the metallic taste more than a taste as blood dribbled down my mouth.

          Gasping and heaving I looked back at the dragon, a Latro in its jaws, keeping it pried open, as the other kneeled beside Vitreus, pouring mana I could feel myself losing into the slowly repairing dragon. It wasn't enough. I can't stop a dragon.

         Clenching my jaw I forced myself back onto my stumbling feet, a wetness to my ears as no sound filled them. Just until help arrives. I can last until Averin gets here. I have to. Putting my hand to my neck I grunted as it cracked, mana racing down my arm as a sword found my hand. A sword that wouldn't stand a chance.

           Raising my hand, I stared at the sword that wobbled at my attention, I watched as it dripped down my arm instead, a thick layer of obsidian covering my hand and forearm. A familiar feeling pulling at my legs as I crouched, the heavy magic wrapping around my limbs. I just have to buy time. I only have to buy time.