Chapter 8

"You've been tasked with what?" I asked, staring sharply at the elite I was to work with today. Yastum sighed, looking up from her papers. Finding the tight grasp I had on the hem of my shirt she slowly looked at my smiling face.The face that was moments away from telling her how I felt about what she just said to me.

          "You need a more professional appearance Lilith, today, I am to help you with that," She started, slowly, firmly. A start I could ignore, complain about but have no real problem with, only, she had to open her mouth again. "But you need to first deal with your hair. Put it up, brush it, I don't care." Brush it. Oh and to think I had no qualms with the woman. She just told me to brush my hair as if it was some small fine little detail. As if I was simply too lazy to do so. The woman with hair so straight it beat any needle, hair that shined at the slightest of movement. This elf just told me that my curls were unprofessional. A problem.

           My smile twitching again at the thought. This time, with her attention properly on my face, she seemed to notice just how close I was to some more disciplinary action. My latest choices were unfortunately seen as disrespectful. If Edward really wanted to see what I was like when disrespectful- "You may cut it if it is such a large ask,"

         "Oh, I'll cut somethi-" I bit my tongue as quickly as I covered my sneer. We stood in silence for a long moment. A moment I filled with a nice long breath. This was a trial far different from the last. I couldn't tell if I really did like my part-time status. Not with so many rules pulling at my throat.

        "... I'll get it done, it needed a trim anyway," I pulled a careful and pleasant smile, tucking my hands behind my back to claw at my wrists so as not to go for her throat; while she stared at me for a long second.

           "Until then," She pressed, "We are to find you appropriate wares, you are a noble, I'm sure you understand the necessity." Oh, I understand. "Fix the look in your eyes, they are far too honest." Narrowing said eyes at her we stared for a second longer than the last before I closed my honest eyes.

         "Of course! I wouldn't want to make you uncomfortable," I chirped, leaving her to sigh again and look back to her paperwork.

         "I said it to keep someone that will take offense from acting." Sure, of course. I wouldn't want to drag the council's image through the dirt any more than I already have. "You shouldn't have pushed to be an apprentice, it is not such a glorious thing,"

          "Glorious?" I hummed, covering my mouth as I looked away from her at the thought. Glorious? There wasn't a reason for me to seek out something so petty. I already knew of the horrible personalities I would be working under, I hadn't thought it as such for a second. Who would bother with something so useless? This wasn't for glory. "I'm not looking for glory, Yastum," I grinned, dropping my head to the side and hiding my eyes as she so kindly suggested.

           "... Collect today's paperwork, we'll head out immediately," She didn't comment, very clearly understanding why I would wish something so cruel on myself if I was not after glory. Yet not at all bothering to pry as to why someone like me would need such a thing.

           "Of course," I hummed, moving to do as told as she pulled her jacket on. Watching her from the corner of my eye, a streak of white hair curling around her silhouette I didn't bother to smile. I don't need something like glory.

          "Arrriii," I whined from her lap as she didn't so much as look away from her desk. My arms wrapped around her stomach loosely as my knees rested against the floor of her small room. "Come onnnnn, I've been bussssyyyyy, I wasn't ignoring you on purpossssseeee," I continued, nuzzling into her uniform.