Chapter 22

"She killed it, so no worries," his voice was horrible to hear as he talked with Yastum, completely ignoring the me still draped over my dragon back. Many heads jerking at the words, staring at him like he was crazy. Which he was.

           "Kill it? Are you sure? You saw the corpse?" She asked bewildered while I grunted loudly, informing I was both there and could hear them. Apparently also bringing those greedy eyes to myself as well. Monarchs and nobles always desperate for a soldier strong enough to make others waver at the mere mention of their name. And, well, let's just say the title of Dragonslayer was more than Averin fucking with me.

          "Yeah, the core was even ripped out, guts everywhere, it wasn't getting back up. She had killed it," He nodded, his arms crossed over his chest as he glanced back at me. An indescribable emotion in those deep red eyes.

           "That's not possible, it takes several magi and a small army to kill even just a small-"

            "Yeah, well, she did, she's also half dead, so you know, maybe get a healer before we get into the argument on how stupid you think I am," He gave a tight smile to the woman who opened her mouth only to close it with a narrowed gaze. A gaze that moved to me, who was sprawled over the smooth back of my once more clear dragon, a heavy hand offering a half-hearted wave as I could even pick up my head.

          "You understand the consequences of your actions, yes?" She asked with an icy tone, so icy, she felt our little crowd to look at her- to process the statement. I had saved their lives. Her life. But I was to be punished.

            "Yatummmmm," I whined not bothering to move as she approached instead, glaring at my dragon the moment he growled at her. "I did a goooodddd! I even danced with a nobbllleeee!" I continued as she carefully pulled me down, Averin's quick hands helping as I was nothing more than dead weight. "Don't tell on meee!" I just whined more, pain pulsing through me at every motion I was forced into and the slightest of places they touched.

         "He's already been informed about the dragon, and your reckless choice to fight it- by yourself no less," She sighed, taking me by my ankles as Averin's arms carefully grabbed under my arms. The two were surprisingly gentle as they carried me like I was some sort of potato sack.

         "Just say you killed the dragon!" I huffed, softly being put onto the ground, the careful maneuvering having me sit up. The moment I tried to jay back down, a firm hand had pressed into the back of my neck, refusing to let me. Glaring at him Averin just raised a brow.

       "Not only are there hundreds of witnesses of you fighting it while you are speaking this none sense in front of nearly half but I just set him a cc reporting that the dragon was dead by your hands," Yastum shot curtly, shaking her communication crystal and speaking with a noble that had offered their healing magic. Not a war healer, won't last past five minutes. Even still she let those greedy hands take hold of my wrist while I hummed staring at the healer that became very aware of just how bad it was in a matter of seconds.

         "I- I am not qualified for wounds so severe," She wilted looking up at Yastum like she was the injured person or something. Nodding she just waved at her, just like that, the healer was scampering off while I grunted. Not even my palms stitched back together.

         "Yeah, well, you think he'll believe you anyway?" I snorted, her attention slipping back to me while a snicker sounded behind me I couldn't help the triumphant smirk on my face.

          "You can't hide the corpse, so you will either be recognized as a hero for willingly throwing your life away and miraculously escaping a dragon, or, you will be recognized as a dragonslayer, the first in nearly a century. You threw yourself into the fight, I had been perfectly prepared to send you to the monarchs to evacuate them," she loosely crossed her arms while I opened my mouth before closing it.