Chapter 43

"Lilith," Edward acknowledged through grit teeth, someone practically holding a knife to his throat. At least, with his tone, you'd think so. His burly arms tightly crossed over his chest as a glare carved into his stupid face. As if he was the one being forced to go. Fucker.

           "Are we going or not?" I shot to Averin, no interest in the man who won't even let me talk to my friends first. No, I had to immediately pack for departure.

            "Yuh huh," He whistled, quite happy to be taken off probation, while tightening his pack to his hippogriff. It didn't take more than that for me to be grinding my boots into the dirt on my way to Vitreus.

        Smoothly taking hold of his shoulder I pulled myself onto his back before settling in. The bag on my back more than enough. I saw Edwad open his mouth again but I simply leaned into Vitreus as he let out a growl that quickly turned to a roar and leap into the sky. If I was going, I was going on my terms.

         With my eyes tightly clenched as he climbed higher and higher I let out a breath and opened my eyes, falling back against him, his spines disappearing at a simple shift in my weight. Staring at the sky as my arms lay above me I couldn't help but sigh as my gaze wandered to the hippogriff desperately trying to catch up. Vitreus slowing at the shift of my attention, my gaze returning to the sky.

        War. Something I was trained for. Something I was born for. Yet it was early. I wasn't supposed to go so soon. I still had four and a half more years before my war term started. No, I brought it on myself. I suppose that's not wrong, I did bring it on myself.

         Staring at the passing clouds with a hum on my lips. Sucking my bottom lip in I bit it Cleanching my teary eyes shut as I held my hiccup. This was for the best, as long as they don't figure it out it'll be fine. I just have to hold it inside. Keep the heat in.

         And even knowing that I couldn't help the emotions bubbling in my chest and racking through my body. I will forever be grateful for the strong overwhelming sound of the wind dragon back provided and equally so for the dragon that climbed beyond what that of a hippogriff could reach.

            "Home sweet home," Averin sighed happily, sucking the bloodied smell through his nose and looking over the relatively clean and kept camp. I didn't bother with more than a glance in his direction looking back to my Vitreus as our foreheads pressed together. The warm hum of his mana on mine comforting beyond anything else. "Come on half-pint, tell the beast to go so we can be briefed,"

       I didn't even look at him, ignoring the words and basking in the warm mana. "Oi, I know you heard me," He tried again, the irritation in his voice equally ignorable. "Order," He ground as my eyes fluttered open, with a peck, Vitreus had disappeared and I had turned to look at the near-fuming magi. With a sarcastic bow, I raised a bow, motioning for him to guide.

         Staring for a long moment he clicked his tongue and led me through the camp, many eyes on us and the numbers only growing the more notable Averin became. Fear, dread, worry, and even relief drew on faces the moment he was recognized. And then curiosity as I followed after.

       "Reaper!" He snapped, throwing open a large tent, the name felt like a strike of lighting, the faces not nearly as surprised to see me. "Lilith, my support, Reaper, and his brat, Reaper my apprentice Lilith, she does bite, don't get too close to her," He deadpanned looking over the officials in the tent having been waiting. And seeming all too used to being ignored.

          "We've met," I stated without missing a beat, my steps matching his own as he took a relaxed seat at the head of the table. Merely standing behind him, no seat for me, I yawned covering my mouth bored of formalities and ready to get this over with.

           "Tell me what I've missed half-bakes," He grinned, putting his cheek in his hand, genuinely thrilled to be back.